This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DSM- Week 2: three contrary problems

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PapstBenediktXVI, Mar 3, 2013.

1. PapstBenediktXVI

PapstBenediktXVI Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:06 AM
    Hi there!

As the title says I'm currently in week two of the DSM-phase of my tank and am experiencing some slight though contradicting problems;

Some info first: the tank has 240l (~60g) its an MP Scubaline set, wich came with a cover with two built in T5s, 38Watts, and since theres already a (kinda loose) cover I didn't cover it any further (like foil or so).
    I've been spraying water about once a day, especially on the glass walls to keep humidity high, did not experience any condensation whatsoever.
    Some Crypts, few stems of Hygrophila Difformis and some patches of HC"C" have been planted.

Now to the problems I've been experiencing: I am already seeing some growth with the HD stems and HC, though some of the bigger patches of the HC are melting at the center, whilst the outer tops are drying out. This is what is confusing me: the center is turning to mush; so I don't see too low humidity there more like too high if anything, but why are the tops drying out then? This I only see with the bigger patches that are melting in the center: the smaller ones are fine I think.
    Also I have a kinda huge root in there with a lot of fungus growing close to the sand. In just a few days a few white spots, which I tried to kill with glutaraldehyde, have turned into patches of green and white fungus. They have not yet spread to the soil -which is Wormcastings and Sand- but theres a lot of threads going towards it. I'm worried that they might make the jump -or have already- and eat my crypts :bull_head:
    So to point out the contrarieness: I have mush and fungus AND dried tips, now I don't know if I should spray more, or less or what.

Figured I could pick your brain about that, since you guys seem to have a lot of experience with, well, everything. I might be too centered on humidity too, with the problem lying somewhere else.
    I hope I was clear enoug I tend to mix things up.
    Thanks in advance for the answers!

Cheers
    Papst

2. PapstBenediktXVI

PapstBenediktXVI Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:06 AM
    Me again!
    Figured some photos might show how bad (or good this depends of course on the perspective) the fungus is:

[attachment=1424:name]

The root has two "branches" sticking in the substrate (it's called a buffallo root, couldn't find out what tree it belonged to) and the fungus goes like this all around those two branches. I just don't get how the fungus got so bad; humidity should be too low since I didn't cover the thing with foil, just kept the loose lid on.

[attachment=1425:name]

Then again this is the melting, I think my camera is of too bad quality to evaluate anything, but you can see that the melting only affects some patches, somehow -the neighbours are fine.
    Again there's what people in austria refer to as "gatsch" in the centre and dried tips on the same plants. Do you think this will affect the other plantsies too?
    Any other info needed?

Cheers
    Papst

oioi.jpg

oioioi.jpg