This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DSM questions!

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by ibanezfrelon, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:24 PM
    Hi folks!

Couple of days ago i planted a 60x35x35cm tank with HC and Eleocharis.
    I wanted to try a DSM to make a HC a little stronger and thicker before i fill up the tank because i started with very little HC.
    It has only been maybe a week but i'm begining to think if DSM was a mistake. The plants are not showing any progress.
    Eleocharis is kinda turning yellow, like it's drying out , and on the other hand HC looks like it's rotting in some places.
    Cyano is showing in places where the soil creeped out through the gravel.
    I'm trying to keep a water level under the gravel so the plants are not under water, and on th other hand i wory that my Eleocharis will dry out so i'm spraying it every other day, i siphone out the excess after spraying.

The light is pretty strong but set up high, 2x125w mercury lamps 80cm above the supstrate.

Am i doing something wrong or should i just wait a bit longer?
    Am i keeping it too wet or maybe too dry?

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Infertile substrate perhaps. All DSM I've seen use soil type substrate or worm poop capped with Fluorite.
    What is your substrate?

#2 nipat, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  3. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi nipat! I use fresh flower soil mixed with some clay and gravel. Pretty fertile i suppose..