This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DSM, dry start method: New(?) method to make a nice rug of HC before you add water

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Tom Barr, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    4:26 AM
    Just a quick question. How long should the lights be left on. I know Tom mentioned that his were on 10hrs a day, but will leaving them on longer promote quicker growth?

This may seem like a silly question but can the lights be left on 24hrs a day?

2. orion2001

orion2001 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think 10 hrs should be plenty. I started with 14-15 hrs but didn't notice any real difference between that and using a 10 hour a day period. On the other hand I'd imagine that the plants might need to adapt to the new photoperiod once you submerse them, so switching from 24 hours to 8-10 hours might throw things off a bit.

3. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Orion2001.

4. aquaticonyx

aquaticonyx Junior Poster

Local Time:
    This is awesome, although the growth chambers do cut down on light for all of your lower plants. One of my LFS grows several different varieties emersed just in the tank water inside the hoods of the tanks and they are blossoming and thriving. Do you have an update on how your experiment has gone?

5. mamatriad

mamatriad Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I haven't read this entire thread yet, I just found this site today. Would this method work with Blyxa japonica?

Thanks!

Tina

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It only works on plants that can be grown emersed, and Blyxa japonica can't be. At least that is what the plant experts tell us.

7. eyebeatbadgers

eyebeatbadgers Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I tried growing that plant emersed myself, and most of the leaves had melted away after about one week. When I pulled the plants up to transfer into my water-filled tank however, the Blyxa had very large root systems, much larger than they ever grow in the other tank. I don't know that they can survive an emersed setup long term, but now that the plantlets have good root systems, they do not float to the top like the others do.

8. keigo

keigo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I re-do my tank last friday and growing HC emersed....

I'm wondering will temperature affect the HC? cause when I have 4 x T5 39W each on, the temperature go as high as 39 which I felt too hot, therefore I off 2 of my T5 and manage to have the temperature hanging at around 35~36.

Wondering what kind of temperature you guys are keeping?

9. rthomas

rthomas Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I am going to try this method with my 5' x 2.5' (width) x 2' (height). I do not have glass lid to cover the tank. Any other alternatives that folk can recommend?

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plastic wrap, various rigid pieces of plastic etc, see basic terrarium culture;)

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.