DSM, dry start method: New(?) method to make a nice rug of HC before you add water

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipem

Prolific Poster
May 21, 2008
Just a quick question. How long should the lights be left on. I know Tom mentioned that his were on 10hrs a day, but will leaving them on longer promote quicker growth?

This may seem like a silly question but can the lights be left on 24hrs a day?

orion2001

Guru Class Expert
Mar 27, 2008
I think 10 hrs should be plenty. I started with 14-15 hrs but didn't notice any real difference between that and using a 10 hour a day period. On the other hand I'd imagine that the plants might need to adapt to the new photoperiod once you submerse them, so switching from 24 hours to 8-10 hours might throw things off a bit.

aquaticonyx

Junior Poster
Aug 16, 2008
digiSalero;26660 said:
I've been reading this forum topic on this technique and got inspired. I only wish I had known about this emersed technique before I started my planted tank.

The question I'd like to propose is: Are there are any good techniques out there for transplanting emersed HC into a tank that's already filled up and planted?

I'm attempting to try it with a little custom setup. I don't have any spare tanks to use, so I tried something that utilized my current lights and tank water. I would be very interested in hearing from people who have successfully tried this technique for a tank that is already filled and what process you used.

Here's my setup. I don't know if it will work or not but I'm optimistic. The plan is once they're grown in and well rooted I'll transplant the whole thing to the tank. The netting is suppose to help me retain the gravel while I place it in the tank. I normally have a sheet of plastic covering the cups for humidity and moisture but I took them off to take the picture.

TopProj.jpg

Here are the tank specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SIZE: 28 US gal. Bowfront. 19" (W) x 24" (H) x 12" (D)

LIGHTING: 2x65W CF 6500K, although I only use 1 of the bulbs for now run 10 hours/day. 2.3W/gal.

CO2: Pressurized. I'm kind of winging it right now. I haven't invested in a drop checker yet. I'm using ADA 30mm beetle ceramic diffuser and ADA basic bubble counter. I'm getting about 168 bpm. I don't know if it's too much or too little but I'm closely monitoring my fish, plants, and algae. I have the system on a timer and have it come on 1 hr. before the lights come on and off 30 min. before the lights turn off.

FILTER: Eheim ECCO 2232

SUBSTRATE: Combination of Eco-Complete and ADA Aquasoil Powder

MISC: Powerhead that sits above the CO2 forcing water down onto the front of the tank. The idea being that the CO2 will be circulated with the water down to the lower tank area. 160W heater maintaining about 80 deg. F.

DOSE: EI

Saturday, Monday, Wednesday

1/4tsp NO3
1/16 tsp KH2PO4
1/16 tsp K2SO4

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
10mL Flourish Trace (Recommended Dosage)

Everyday
5 mL Excel

Friday
50% water change + 15mL Excel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't done a whole lot of scaping. I do a little here and there to keep it looking nice. I'm just letting it grow in at this point and playing with different plants.

The HC:
HCTop.jpg

I'm trying this technique with Lilaeopsis 'Mauritius' also:
HGTop.jpg

I'm doing the hairgrass the old fashion way:
TopAngle.jpg

I'd also appreciate any comments on my dosing strategy and setup. I know I'm missing a few things here and there (I'm working up to it). If there's anything obvious that I'm missing, I'd welcome the suggestions. A million thanks for this great website and resource.

Regards,
Fellow Aquarium Plant Enthusiast

This is awesome, although the growth chambers do cut down on light for all of your lower plants. One of my LFS grows several different varieties emersed just in the tank water inside the hoods of the tanks and they are blossoming and thriving. Do you have an update on how your experiment has gone?

mamatriad

Junior Poster
Sep 3, 2008
I haven't read this entire thread yet, I just found this site today. Would this method work with Blyxa japonica?

Thanks!

Tina

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
mamatriad;28499 said:
I haven't read this entire thread yet, I just found this site today. Would this method work with Blyxa japonica?

Thanks!

Tina

It only works on plants that can be grown emersed, and Blyxa japonica can't be. At least that is what the plant experts tell us.

eyebeatbadgers

Junior Poster
Aug 28, 2007
Nashville, Tennessee
VaughnH;28500 said:
It only works on plants that can be grown emersed, and Blyxa japonica can't be. At least that is what the plant experts tell us.

I tried growing that plant emersed myself, and most of the leaves had melted away after about one week. When I pulled the plants up to transfer into my water-filled tank however, the Blyxa had very large root systems, much larger than they ever grow in the other tank. I don't know that they can survive an emersed setup long term, but now that the plantlets have good root systems, they do not float to the top like the others do.

keigo

Junior Poster
Sep 1, 2008
I re-do my tank last friday and growing HC emersed....

I'm wondering will temperature affect the HC? cause when I have 4 x T5 39W each on, the temperature go as high as 39 which I felt too hot, therefore I off 2 of my T5 and manage to have the temperature hanging at around 35~36.

Wondering what kind of temperature you guys are keeping?

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
I am going to try this method with my 5' x 2.5' (width) x 2' (height). I do not have glass lid to cover the tank. Any other alternatives that folk can recommend?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Plastic wrap, various rigid pieces of plastic etc, see basic terrarium culture;)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Status
Not open for further replies.