This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DSM Candidates?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Jim Miller, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:47 AM
    I'm starting to do some planning for bringing up my 90g that I recently ordered. I'm interested in doing DSM for as many plants as practical.

Are there classes of plants that can be started in this way? I was thinking that if I knew what sort of plants that can be started this way that transition to aquatic then I could get a good start on the aquascape beyond just a front carpet.

I was thinking of using crypts, swords, grasses, vals, bacopa, annubias, etc for a start. Haven't thought about plants beyond that.

Thanks

Jim

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Vals are about the only ones that will not do well, some Egeria and a very very few others.
    95% of the plants will grow well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do plants with rhizomes work as DSM candidates?

Also would adding some CO2 (along with some temporary aquarium tops to retain moisture) help the growout process? I think I remember enriched CO2 atmosphere being used in greenhouses as well.

Also I saw TB's post on DSM as means of establishing the substrate rather than the repeated wet/dry cycles of MTS and it looks like it could save me a bunch of time. I could actually get the tank plumbed and growing out the initial planting while working on the wooden surround for the steel stand.

Immediate gratification!

Thanks

Jim