This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSM and Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tirtha1979, Jan 31, 2011.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 Prolific Poster

I am growing few plants using DSM method like HC, Staurogyne, hydrocotyle umbellata. Plants are growing fine but after first 1-2 weeks I can see Cyanobacteria patches on the substrate. And within a month the complete substrate is getting covered by a layer of BG algae. Using brand new AS II as substrate. Source of light is T5HO or indirect Sunlight or direct sunlight for 2-3 hours in different setup.

As far as I know, Cyanobacteria comes when there is very less Nitrate or no flow. But these are not, seems to be a reason in dry start.

Any idea how to get rid of this problem? Anything am I doing wrong? Please share your thoughts.

regards,
    Tirtha

2. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

maybe you have too much water in that emersed start? can you post a photo?

3. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 Prolific Poster

Sorry for the late reply. That might be the reson. I keep a very thin of water layer always on the substrate. Will avoid it. Sorry for not having a picture handy.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

The substrate should be moist but no standing pools of water....the environment needs to be humid as well so many folks add too much water to assist with humidity.

However, too much water is not good:)

If the water pools anywhere (say a depression in substrate) I would remove some from that spot.

Hope this helps.