This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DSM - ADA AS - Zeros across the board

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by chasintrades, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chasintrades

chasintrades Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:12 AM
    Hi - I did the DSM method with HC in a 40 Breeder. I was very patient and waited nearly three months for a perfect carpet.

I filled the tank with water on Sunday. I have done tw0 >50% WCs so far.

I tested the water yesterday before and after a 50% WC and had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite.

Today I did not do another WC. I tested this morning and again zeros across the board.

I know the ADA AS has good amounts of Ammonia and Tom has mentioned that the tank should/could be cycled after the DSM.

Since this is my first attempt at a planted tank, I would appreciate some feedback before I look to stock the tank. I am wary of stocking before completing the N cycle and hurting/stressing/killing fish.

Thanks!!

Ari

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Get Ahead of The Trades...

Hi Ari,

Welcome! :cool:

Yes the tank needs to be fully cycled... :gw

Most folks do not wait nearly long enough, then add too many fish too quickly. :gw

I wonder about your testing, I would expect to see ammonia at this stage, perhaps even a little nitrite building. :confused:

Personally, I would not bother with the testing, but if you do, make sure your test kit are calibrated. ;)

Anyway sounds as though you are off to a good start. :cool:

Biollante

3. chasintrades

Local Time:
    Thank you for the reply...

Since I have 0 ammonia present, should I add some each day to start or re-start the cycle?

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Buy When Everyone Else Is Selling...

Hi Ari,

No I would not add any ammonia. :)

If the plants are growing something is happening :), I still do not buy the 0.0 Ammonia.

Should you decide to, contrary to the excellent :D advice you have been given, add Ammonia :rolleyes:, add it in the form of a fertilizer... :)

Biollante

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Mostly to flush out anything that's remaining, but it's JUST like mineralized top soil methods, which take about 3 weeks or so to convert the NH4 to NO3.
    But...... you do it in the tank basically rather than outside in a shallow pan, then adding the soil 3-4 weeks later etc.

DSM does this as part of the process and does it much better.
    Realize also, the grains of AS still have NH4 inside them, just the outside layer does not have much.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. chasintrades

Local Time:
    Thank you Biollante and Tom, I appreciate the feedback and advice. I am trying to understand my next moves towards eventually stocking the tank. I am currently preforming 50% water changes every two days. Some of the HC is melting but only what I would expect to melt due to the change from emeresed to submersed life. I am expecting a package from Orlando today and will begin EI.

would it be reasonable for me to lightly stock the tank to continue the cycle or should I continue to be patient and be satisfied with water changes and adjustments to the tank? What should I be looking for?

Here are some basic tank specs which I neglected.
    40 Breeder
    ADA AS 1
    3X39 T5HO
    Pressurize CO2 via a Rex Grigg Built Reactor
    Hydor in-line heater
    Eheim 2075
    Seriyu Stone
    HC 100% Coverage (Except where the stone work is)

Thank you again for your feedback and access to this site.

7. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Based on my limited experience, if you're asking if you've been patient enough ... you haven't. I thought I had been and got smacked with an nasty Rhizo outbreak that took a long time and a lot of work to clear. Listen to Bio, Tom, and all the rest of the folks here. They won't steer you wrong.

Keep up with the WC's to head off an outbreak of your own, getting the lighting and CO2 to the right levels will be manditory. As for what to look for, for me, the tank just seemed to come of age and didn't need as much attention to maintain an acceptable quality level as before.

Pat

8. chasintrades

Local Time:
    Thank you Pat I appreciate it.

I will continue with WC every other day for 1 week and see where the tank is. I am going to love my python!!

I am going to continue to be patient.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I use this, much faster/easier than a python.

[​IMG]

Hang it on the tank, drains to a pre set level and I run the water outside on the ivy and trees(no grass here).
    Switch the end to the shower head, to refill the tank.

Simple, fast and easy
    Hard plumb drain and fill is about the next thing that would be even easier.
    Add a solenoid and timer/float valve, and you are set up to automate the water changes.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

10. chasintrades

Local Time:
    Love it, but I live in NYC. If I drained my tank out of my six story window... maybe I could aim it at a homeless guy!!