Dry starting HC in a dirted tank

zenn

Junior Poster
Sep 12, 2016
Hello everyone, I really enjoy digging trough all the info on the boards, learn something new all the time. So I'm setting up a 65gl and want to get a carpet of HC going first doing dry start. So far put down 1in of organic top soil capped with 1in Fourite black. Added just enough water to get the substrate damp and spread out a mat of dwarf baby tears. This all happened over the weekend and now just daily misting with water. Today I came across a post about organic soil topped with flourite causing excess metals once the tank is flooded and killing off the plants. (I'll try to fing it again so I can link it here) anyway, that now has me second guessing my setup. It would suck, but it's not too late to tear it down and start over, I tought I was on to a good setup.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
I would second guess that topic myself. Plenty of successful users in the fluorite department. Oragic soil also, I don't know where the excess metals would come from unless they're dosing themselves.

I think you're good, if you do it right.

Zeus

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 20, 2016
Yorkshire,U.K.
Hi

sorry it's just new the newbie doing posts so I can get full site access. I can see threads I would like to read but no access till 5 posts.

i have tried to pick posts where I can give a comment of something but being new to aquascaping it's difficult.

really really sorry guys

thinking about DSM all the same.

Zeus

(ps dear moderator seeing five post in short period I am human, I hate spam, please feel feel to delete my post as long as I have access I cool about it. Unless they have some input OFC)

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
Zeus said:
Hi

sorry it's just new the newbie doing posts so I can get full site access. I can see threads I would like to read but no access till 5 posts.

Hi Zeus did you get my email?

Zeus

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 20, 2016
Yorkshire,U.K.
Jason said:
Hi Zeus did you get my email?

Hi Jason

Nope afraid not :eek: . But i did sign up with my gmail account. Changed it over to my ISP based one in profile settings.

had a quick check over other setting in profile - everything else looks good to go.

still not able to open member only threads to read them in chrome or MS edge Win10

so could you please resend the e-mail again know I've changed the e-mail address over

many thanks for your assistance

Zeus