Dry Start Duration

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
I've had my HC in a dry start tank for about 5 wks or so, doing well, how long do you guys usually let it grow b4 filling the tank? Thanksgiving and family are coming in a week, I'm fine with waiting but the wife's getting impatient;) The last thing I want is to fill it and have it float out.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
DSM work on 4 weeks usually. I find ground covers root after about 2 weeks so you coud probably fill as early as that. Some people have stretched DSM out for months.

-Philosophos

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
IMO if the HC seems nicely rooted with GENTLE tugging, and looks good otherwise, growing, spreading, I would go for it.

Just watch the c02 after the flood to ensure no harm from the abundant c02 in the atmosphere to the more limited amount under water...Do your best to get it dialed in.....maybe no fish until the c02 is optimal???? hard to wait but safer.

Remember that it is both quantity and stability with c02...

Best of luck and post a before/after pic if possible!

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
Here's pics about a week after planting, about 4 weeks later and today. This will not be a CO2 tank but I will be dosing Excel pretty heavy to keep stuff going post flood. No fish yet so not real worried about that part. I'm planning to eventually get some blue rams in there (once water is right, they're touchy) see if they'll breed.... Planning to flood today, we'll see what happens.....Thanks for the input!!

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

resize5.jpg