This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dry start and BGA

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tefsom85, Dec 30, 2013.

1. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:01 PM
    Hey all,
    I am doing a dry start on my tank and am starting to see some BGA on the Aquasoil. I'm a little concerned as I did a a dry start on another tank over the summer and it also had BGA on the soil which eventually turned into a full blown epidemic once I flooded the tank. I did manage to get it under control but would like to avoid that this time around. One thing I am wondering about is my misting. I am using RO water as my mist as I live in liquid rock central. Is the sterility of the water contributing to the BGA? Does the AS not have enough nitrates to keep the BGA at bay in an emersed condition?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You can dissolve 200 mgs of EM into say 250 mls of water and spray that on about 2sq ft.
    That will kill it.
    Maybe over misting, using too much humidity, old ADA As etc.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You can dissolve 200 mgs of EM into say 250 mls of water and spray that on about 2sq ft.
    That will kill it.
    Maybe over misting, using too much humidity, old ADA As etc.

4. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ahh, too moist might be my issue. Mist every day and have a pretty good Saran Wrap seal on top.