This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dry ferts in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by beastboi, Sep 12, 2008.

1. beastboi

beastboi Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:50 PM
    Quick question, why do we need to keep pre-mixed dry ferts soultion in the fridge where as something like pfertz line you don't?

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pfertz is nothing more than pre-mixed dry ferts solution. The only pre-mixed solution you might want to refrigerate is the trace mix, CSM+B for example. I never have done so, but I know some people do . You can add a tiny amount of muriatic acid to that mix, or a few drops of aquatic fungicide, and then there is zero reason to refrigerate it.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    As Vaughn suggest, no real reason.
    My guess is the brands that asked for it to be refrigerated have not added things like antibacterial but non active ingredients HCL etc.

Seachem and Tropica have no such requirements, so that should tell you something right there.

Why would they (pfertz) not do that as well?
    Seems rather odd to me.

Cheapo CMS+B will get fungus, but a little HCL as mentioned, takes care of that.
    Perhaps that's what is being used and they did not want/think etc to add something like HCL to it for some reason?

Who knows.

I cannot get my significant other to allow Fish food/live food/aquarium stuff in the refrig. Unless I get refrig that only adds fish hobby items.........:eek:

So that's out and I honestly do not like two different food sources in my refrig, cross contamination can occur/smells pretty darn strong.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    For my own macro/trace mix I use 2g/L Sodium Benzoate and 2g/L citric acid.
    Before that the mixture would be filled with bacteria or fungy.