This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DrTim's H2O Pure

Discussion in 'Aquatic Microbiology' started by rusticitas, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:15 PM
    I came across this product H2O Pure which is supposed to provide fast(er) cycling by providing needed bacteria to a new tank.

I was just wondering if anyone here has used it. I know there's a lot of "snakeoil" out there. However I only want to know from those who have actually used it. I may experiment with it, but it is cheap and easy to ask here first! :)

2. jazzlvr123

jazzlvr123 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    well you have to keep it refrigerated so that a good sign that its live nitrifying bacteria. glad to see a new product like this has hit the market since bio sipra has been taken off the shelfs

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Mulm is the way to go.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I used this product while cycling my 10 gallon, and I still got BGA. My ammonia levels were not affected by this product, but I was using ADA Amazonia, which secretes NH3 for weeks.

I think this product is better than most on the market, but it is most likely more effective in non-planted tanks or when adding extra fish. Plants, as we know, have bacteria on them when we introduce them to our aquariums.

If Ammonia and Nitrite are present it is only a matter of time before nitrifying bacteria start to grow.

5. Robert H

Robert H Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I know this is a really old thread... but Dr. Timothy Hovanec is no snake oil salesman. He is the Tom Barr of the world of bacteria! He is a research biologist and scientist, and actually studied bacteria, done research papers on bacteria, and discovered new species of bacteria and was responsible for naming these species. His research is well documented and he is a well recognized expert in his field, There is a podcast interview out there with him explaining the new species of bacteria he discovered and how they work in the aquarium. He is also a long time board member of the American Cichlid Association, and during the 1990s he wrote scientific articles for Aquarium Frontiers Magazine. He was Director of Research for Marineland for several years before starting his own business. Quite an interesting fellow.

6. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    1:15 PM
    The one product that I have used is turbostart by fritzyme. It must be refrigerated and it works like a charm. Jump start a tank in a week.

Even with as