Driftwood

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
All,

I just wanted to touch base and see where some people obtained their driftwood. I am a fan of the wood which sinks on its own and does not need to be anchored down. I have been purchasing wood from Arizona Aquatic Gardens.

Are there any other places you goto to obtain reasonably priced pieces?

Also... what kind of wood do you usually get? I have seen it has various names, not sure what kind I have.

Thanks,
John

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The 3 main types in the USA: Mopani african, Malaya, and ADA's old black wood.

All fairly $$, all somewhat small, less dramatic than I like.

So I soak/collect my own and wait, later it sinks if properly cured and prepped.

Regards,
Tom Barr

captain_bu

Prolific Poster
Nov 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have been curious about trying to collect my own driftwood. Are there any types of wood that should definitely be avoided or is the only criteria that there is no rot and it will absorb enough water to sink? Besides scraping off loose debris, boiling, and soaking is there anything else to the curing and prep process that I should know about?

Thanks!
Steve

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
How long does it take to sink.....any tips on curing it correctly so it won't rot later on? I need some driftwood for my tank...when the snow goes I'm going searching.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Cut, sandblast, hack, ax, pressure wash etc any softer rot off.

Hard denser wood that's long aged is best.

The oak on the hills in CA is nice, hard as rock and works good.
Redwood dense root old growth is great also.

Swamp cedar is good, juniper, most desert wood, manzanita is great, we have tons of that here in CA, which next to LA, and FL is likely the best place, most desert or drier areas are better, the wood rots too fast otherwise and does not get as hard typically.

Regards,
Tom Barr