This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Driftwood Prep vs. Chem Contamination

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ** UncleEl **, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ** UncleEl **

** UncleEl ** Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:58 AM
    Hello Forum-mates:

I'm in count-down mode in gathering equip, driftwood, substrate materials, etc. to set up my next tank.

I have two nice pieces of driftwood to prep for use. I know that I need to clean & presoak it in boiling water to kill bad organisms, release excess tannins, and waterlog it. Do I need to add declorinator chemicals to the water before soaking? I'm concerned about a bad chemical reaction due to the increased heat when using boiling water. I am a fanatic about chemical contamination. Am I being overly concerned?

Also, my plan is to have the tank up & running by June 21. How much time can you estimate that I'll need to properly soak & waterlog my driftwood?

Thanks in advance. Uncle El.