This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

double wet/dry sump levels-one tank

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Dennis Singh, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    I can't seem to line up my sump levels

I know i need a bigger overflow in which the pump is too strong.

But once I upgrade my overflow, will things even out? This is a precise question as where purchasing equipment usually goes through locals and used and unreturnable so i gotta get it right from the start.

I have a bigger cpr overflow but hanging it on the tank the overflow is too high, even adjusting it, it will not go low enough. I'd like to use it as i really like it but then i'd have to change the other overflow to a cpr most likely same size which i'd have to add another diaphragm pump. useless information i know, didn't need.

So can you suggest an overflow size to even this all out? Do you need more information? Or is it not even the overflow..

both pumps are really strong, i'm getting huge turnover

Ej9hhKK.jpg

Ijwov9G.jpg

ub9Jppq.jpg

0zQv4yZ.jpg

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:26 AM
    Hi, could we get some details on the overflow pipes sizes? Also. what am I looking at exactly? ARe they builtin overflows? Tamls size and specs please. you should know the drill being a mod :)

What exactly are your concerns? If the pumps are too stromg, you can add ball valves to restrict flow.

What are you trying to do? Sorry, I do not know the history of your tank and/or experience.

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    also, I am concerned about the bend in the intake pipe going into the sump. You are not getting optimal flow like that and is part of your issues. Please review in detail your pipe size. Don't go from 1" to 5/8 and then back and expect the same rate of flow. your pipe should drop as much as possible in a straight line to the sump with no bends, etc.

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Argh Gerry, I'd rather fix it up figure it out myself than answer you mod headache questions.

:confused:

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I apologize Gerry for the quick joke and never responding with my follow up information, its coming just gotta calculate them all.

6. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What CPR model do you have on those?

Why not just connect the two sumps so the water height is equal?

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Lower flow rates will yield better leveling and more quiet, more quiet= generally the best approach, you do not need more filtration really.

8. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I have adjusted everything so that everything is through one filter

so this wet/dry has a

cpr overflow

sump w/ peat n bioballs

2 huge pumps, this is where the level of the water is pretty high in the tank

1 reactor cerges

1 atomizer gla (regulator has stopped working!!! Gat daymn, my curse, this is huge as its my ph calibration and stable count, i never turn it off and now all of sudden regulator stops working)

Cs50

how would i go about connecting the two sumps?

Sounds nice, but i'm going for a tornado of flow, optimization of the o2 and co2. I might have to change the overflow or lower the flow rate because its barely cutting it, like literally just cm's before the water line in which i'm waiting to get a panda loach into the tank but i just cannot risk it right now until i tone the co2 levels down.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2 sumps: simply add a pipe between then to keep the same water level/flow etc. If you wanted more exchange between the two, you can add a small powerhead that sends water to the other side and the pipe would flow back.

More flow is fine.....but do it in the tank, not through the overflows. Eg, a wave maker, small powerhead etc.

More energy efficient, better for noise and CO2 etc.

Have you seen these?

16$

http://www.bigalspets.com/fish/hi-tech-department/aqua-flow-swing-wavemaker-3-4-slip-3-4-barb.html

10. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yeah, as Tom said just add a pipe between the two sumps. I would think you could get away with only one sump though.