Dosing with the Pfertz line.

Craigthor

Junior Poster
Jan 4, 2009
Anyone using this system. I've setup an ADA Mini M. I chose the liquid ferts as I found it easier to dose a tank this small with liquids. Also purchasing dry ferts is like a lifetimes worth at a time. After reading the ADA thread I may get some dry and mix up a batch.

I'm currently dosing just K and Micros with a touch of N twice a week. Here are the tank specs:

ADA Mini M 5.15g
ADA Amazonia
Pressurized CO2 via Inline Cal Aqua Diffuser
27 Watts of Light
Eheim 2213 w/ Hydor inline heater

Flora:
Utricalaria Graminifolia
Mini Pellia
HM- coming soon

Fauna:
CRS

If I went to the EI method how would I dose such a small tank. Here is the info on the Pfertz Line:

1 Pump is ~1.2mL Recommended 1 pump per 10g daily, 3 pumps on inital use, 2 pumps after water change. All this is for 10g. I figure I can have the amount no big deal, also Pfertz suggested to does opposite days the Micro and Macro. 1 Marcos M,W,F 1 Pump Micros on opposite days. Would be similar to EI I would assume.

N- 1.75-0-5.0 Derived from Potassium Nitrate and Urea
P- 0-0.35-0.35 Derived from Monopotassium Phosphate
K- 0-0-5.1 Derived from Potassium Sulfate
M- 0-0-0 Derived from Sodium Borate, Sodium Molybdate, Nickle Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Iron EDTA, Zinc Sulfate

Anything I should watch for?

Craig

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone would use a commercial fert if they are aware of DIY dry ferts.

We know what ADA's % are, we know what everything else is.........why buy it?
Like to pay more?

Once you make one batch, that's it.
% ratios etc, none of that makes a lot of sense.

Stick with adding more or less, a general ratio range is about all anyone might need.

Fertilizer is fertilizer after all.

The only area where it can make much difference is cost.
This is true for for every NPK, and most importantly for cost.
Traces can be markedly improved and reduced in cost.
The DIY dry version should be out sometime this spring.

Basically a very good ratio, so you get the max use from a Trace mix without paying the high range brand name cost, which is about 20X, and it is much better than CMS etc.

You can add water to a container?
You can buy cheap nice containers on line(self filling, or measured 1 mls dispensers etc). for a few$.

It's fine if you'd like to try various ferts etc, or routines, but knowing what is in them makes life much easier, and cheaper, it's not that much harder and it's not hard at all thereafter once you do it 1-2x, then it's old hat and easy from then on.

Light and CO2 are more important than some small changes in the NPK ratios, up or down a little etc., and daily tending vs 1-2x a week etc of ferts.

Just keep this in mind.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Craigthor

Junior Poster
Jan 4, 2009
Thanks Tom,

I did this more as a trial thing. I used dry ferts with my last 4 planted tanks. I was given a great deal on these and figured why not. I'm thinking once these are done is switching over to the DIY ADA or EI PMDD Liquid dosing.

Really interested in the DIY Dry Trace mix though.

Craig

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
I used the Pfertz line and now using dry ferts. I want to use the bottles that came with Pfertz ( ~1.2 ml per pump ) but do not know how much dry ferts should I add to make the same ratio as with pfertz. By the way, the bottles are 500 mL and I have KNO3 , CSM+B and KH2PO4

Any help ?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Why not send a PM to Pfertz asking what the ppm of each of those fertilizers is in their bottles? I have to believe they won't tell you, but I have been pleasantly surprised before.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Craigthor;32206 said:
Thanks Tom,

I did this more as a trial thing. I used dry ferts with my last 4 planted tanks. I was given a great deal on these and figured why not. I'm thinking once these are done is switching over to the DIY ADA or EI PMDD Liquid dosing.

Really interested in the DIY Dry Trace mix though.

Craig

Nothing wrong with changing the dry to liquid daily dosing routines, many folks do, particularly if they have smaller tanks where it's more practical or where folks might wanted to tend their tans more often and find it easier to dose daily vs 2-3x a week or whatever they'd been doing prior.

That's not really a "brand" or a "method change", it's just liquid vs dry, both work well if the Human brain can remember to do it:eek:

So I think with more care in general, daily, more commiment etc.........on your part.........that, not the methods etc.........is the issue for most. This is a Psycology issue and why they do double blind test to make sure errors that we add and our bias is reduced/removed. Some seem to think this makes no difference:rolleyes:
You have to account for it and address that to gauge what is really causing the results.

Why you get a result matters(good, bad, or no change etc), this is how you move forward and get better. So many of these clowns seem to ignore such things and assume all things are equal in their own behaviors. You have to be honest and do not assume you are some sort of expert, assume you are really ignorant:cool:
I get reminded of it everyday:p I know I'm feeble minded though, some of these bozos think they are smart and believe everything they think. I need to confirm things. I do not stop questioning it even if it's something I once thought I knew a fair amount about already.
I try, and go back again and again.

I suggest folks do the same as well.

Panda,
All you need to do there is a little Chemistry and weights/volumes for the same ppm's, most dosing calculators can do that for you.

Same deal for the ADA liquid ferts.

Regards, '
Tom Barr

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
I noticed the pfertz line is on sale for 30% off (use pt30 coupon code). It seems the pfertz micros will be much cheaper than Tropica Master Grow (I use this currently). A 500ml TMG runs $20 at Big Al's and 500ml Pfertz Micros runs $10.50 with discount.

Anybody have any experience using the Pfertz micros? I am thinking about switching over to Pfertz now that TMG prices have gone up and Pfertz have come down.

Craigthor

Junior Poster
Jan 4, 2009
shane;33028 said:
I noticed the pfertz line is on sale for 30% off (use pt30 coupon code). It seems the pfertz micros will be much cheaper than Tropica Master Grow (I use this currently). A 500ml TMG runs $20 at Big Al's and 500ml Pfertz Micros runs $10.50 with discount.

Anybody have any experience using the Pfertz micros? I am thinking about switching over to Pfertz now that TMG prices have gone up and Pfertz have come down.

I use the pfertz line but only have been using for a month. Nothing bad to say. They have great customer service and fast shipping.

Craig

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Craigthor;33030 said:
I use the pfertz line but only have been using for a month. Nothing bad to say. They have great customer service and fast shipping.

Craig

You should get that, you are paying for it by buying water with a little bit of ferts mixed in:)

Same for all vendor brands.

Alan will have Excel like ferts and a dry mix coming out soon as we seal a deal for the Dry micronutrient mix I'm having made(finally).

Vendors can buy that and mix and sell it if they wish. Put it in a nich bottle, tell folks how to etc etc.........I just do consulting, development and no sales:cool:

They are a good alternative to other brands, but they need to get their products into LFS and chains. It's hard to beat dry ferts on line otherwise.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
You can also get a 1/2 gallon of Pfertz micros for $21.00 with the discount. I think I will get that.