Dosing/water changes for non-CO2, Excel 33 gal.

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
I'm going to be setting up a 33 gal. soon, for a client.

Lighting is 2 x HO T5, 1.5wpg.

Substrate will be Tropica Plant Substrate and inert 1-2mm gravel. So quite nutrient poor until established.

Plants - Crypts, ferns, Anubias and Vallisneria nana. Low fish load.

I'll be dosing Tropica Plant Nutrition+ that contains N and P and regular dosing of 'Excel' (Easylife EasyCarbo) instead of CO2.

Water is soft so may need GH booster, especially for Vallis?

What dosing (Tropica+, Excel (and GH booster?)) and water change regime would you recommend, please?

Thanks!

PhillyB

Prolific Poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hey George,

In my experience I have been dosing the same as suggested by EI with CO2 injection once a week (as opposed to 3x a week). I am experiencing good growth and it is much easier to do once a week. My rationale was that Excel growth will be much less (I believe a 1/3 rate was quoted here previously) than CO2 injection.

Anyway that is my experience and what I have been doing with good results. My plants are also of the easier to grow variety.

John

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd do a 1/4 or so, maybe 1/5 EI if the tank is lower light.

Be a bit more conservative.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can do weekly, but you should be okay with some tweaking and going once every 2 weeks or more even.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
Sweden
Tom Barr;24702 said:
You can do weekly, but you should be okay with some tweaking and going once every 2 weeks or more even.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I agree. I run such a set-up with medium lights, no CO2, just Easy Carbo (3-4 x 1,5ml a week) and AquaCare+N&P from Tropica (2x 2,5ml a week), and Aquatic Nature Aqua Soil.
And because Tropica has low PO4 I also dose a tiny dash of extra KH2PO4 once a week, to keep GSA at bay.
One good thing to do when using Excel/Easy Carbo (also CO2) is moderate surface agitation (but you already know this)
Link to my Easy Carbo planted tank;
The Miniature Forest

Regards, Dusko