Dosing Pump Questions

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
Tom Barr;114209 said:
Why not use full strength Excel(1.5% glut) and then add the trace mix to that?
It's mostly water and glut in not a reductant nor an oxidizer. So it will not unchelate.
Nothing will grow in there and you can dose the ferts and glut daily also.

I like and prefer manual peg style timers, less issues setting them up and programming errors are reduced.
You can get nice small ones and ones with tiny 5 min pegas etc.

Tom,
I could not find the "fine peg" manual timers. This is what I'd like to use for sure. I do not trust the digital timers. Can you point me in the correct direction? My web searches have proven useless. I don't understand your point on using full strength Excel in the trace mix. If I'm mixing up a 1500/ ml batch of traces for a 34 gallon tank, how much Excel do I use, and how much CSM+B? Sorry, I'm just confused about this... I just don't get it.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
Tom Barr;113518 said:
CMS+B with some Excel should last a month easily.
Maybe 20 mls excel per 500 mls of CMS. .

Tom,
Is it safe/ okay to put Excel in the container that has the KNO3 and KH2PO4? I started getting a little scum in that container. The CSM+B with the Excel in it has no signs of scum or mold.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
I put it in both and its fine.

Tom earlier suggested using Excel in place of water (at the right mixture/percentage) so that you can dose Excel with the ferts and not have to have a 3rd pump for Excel, plus it will prevent scum buildup.

I am almost out of liquid and will try this when I make another batch.

If I want to dose, say 10 ml of Excel a day, I will do the math so that it is 5ml in one and 5ml in the other.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
gsjmia;114778 said:
I put it in both and its fine.

Tom earlier suggested using Excel in place of water (at the right mixture/percentage) so that you can dose Excel with the ferts and not have to have a 3rd pump for Excel, plus it will prevent scum buildup.

I am almost out of liquid and will try this when I make another batch.

If I want to dose, say 10 ml of Excel a day, I will do the math so that it is 5ml in one and 5ml in the other.

Thank you for the help. I'm very happy with the set up. I mixed up a batch of ferts last night that will last about 3 months. I wonder if this is too long to wait to remix?

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
I find about 6-8 weeks is good before it starts to look weird. I just tested N03 in the tank based on a batch about 8 weeks old and it was pretty high, so I think it must be evaporating a little.

Dry ferts are cheap, see what happens.

To better explain, say I was mixing 1,000ml of water to get the 10ml per day (that would be 100 doses), you would use 500 ml of DL water and 500 ml of Excel (Metricide!). The foregoing would apply to both mixes.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
gsjmia;114826 said:
I find about 6-8 weeks is good before it starts to look weird. I just tested N03 in the tank based on a batch about 8 weeks old and it was pretty high, so I think it must be evaporating a little.

Dry ferts are cheap, see what happens.

To better explain, say I was mixing 1,000ml of water to get the 10ml per day (that would be 100 doses), you would use 500 ml of DL water and 500 ml of Excel (Metricide!). The foregoing would apply to both mixes.

Ah yes...Evaporation. I guess I'll see what happens and just mix up smaller batches if needed. Now I need an ATO for my ferts too!

Robertgor

Junior Poster
Dec 19, 2014
Bermuda
Dosing Pump Questions

Amazing read, and very interesting. Learned lots there big Den, so thanks a lot I always use salt, on my fish and chips

Reactions: Dmitry69