This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing PMDD

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by ervis, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ervis

ervis Junior Poster

Thank you for coming together. I've assembled this high power team of plant experts to address this pressing issue of mine. :)

I spent a long time yesterday with the fert calculator on Chuck's page.
    http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

I've got 3 tanks, and I wanted to make up two bottles of potion for each one. A mixed bottle of KCI and KNO3 for each, and a bottle of trace mix from Greg. Using the calculator and my knowledge of the tanks, I came up with a bottle of K and N mixed for each. My 55g needs a stronger dose (3.4wpg, CO2 etc.) than the 3 gallon sitting here on my desk.

Now, about the trace mix: On Chuck's page
    http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_fertilizer_intro.htm
    there's a link to an old digest post about PMDD.

"The amount or "size" in ml (milli-liters) of your daily PMDD dose should eventually be governed by monitoring Fe (iron) levels that accumulate and equilibrate in your aquarium over a period of time (more on this later). But, to get started, for each ten gallons, try around 1/12 ml of PMDD a day (roughly 2 drops). A 29 gallon tank would then get 1/4 ml a day (roughly 6 drops). If you don't do many partial water changes, dose less. If you have a "high tech", densely planted, CO2 injected, VHO lit tank, you might want to double the dose to 1/6 ml of PMDD per 10 gallons a day (roughly 4 drops)."

This info is from 1997. I'm wondering if it is still the recommended dosage? I just read here a post by Greg where he recommends 50ml trace every other day! I've made up 3 bottles of Greg's magic trace solution, 1 Table spoon to 500ml water. What are the suggested dosages for my tanks?

55g
    heavily planted, growing like crazy
    3.4 wpg
    injected CO2 at 26ppm
    light fish load

20g
    sparsly planted with swords and crypts, slow growth
    2wpg
    Flourish Excell
    light fish load

3g
    heavily planted, java moss and anubia
    2wpg
    Flourish Excell
    2 neons

Thanks to any responders. This is the last chapter I've yet to get a grasp of and still feel a bit leary of my understanding. Currently I'm dosing traces according to the above quoted article.

thanks agian,
    steve