This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing iron sulphate and API water conditioner

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by tiger15, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tiger15

tiger15 New Member

2. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I don't think 9.8% chelating agent would be enough to keep the iron around long enough for the plant to grab any of it. Fo example 13% Fe EDTA has 68% chelating agent.

3. tiger15

tiger15 New Member

I don't know the % EDTA you refer to has the base as the API EDTA, so we may be comparing apple to orange. The API is in liquid form with 30.2 % accompanying sodium thiosulfate. Is your in dry or liquid form and how much do you dose. The EDTA is there to remove heavy metal, so consensus advice says that water conditioner should not be dosed at the same time with micro nutrients. So it depends on how much you dose on each to determine the level of chelating. I don't know the math and if someone has tried dosing FeSO4.

4. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Not to sure why you would even want to mess around with FeSO4. Yes its cheap, but so are other forms of Fe be it Fe EDTA or DPTA especially in the amounts we dose. Plus the math is already done for you.

I purchase dry Fe DTPA and mix it in my own solution which I dose every other day at .1ppm. The reason I use DTPA is because it is said to be more stable at my ph range, 4 - 7.2. EDTA is said to be unstable at ph levels above ~6.2

If you do figure out the math, update and let me know how it goes.

#4 slipfinger, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. tiger15

tiger15 New Member

I didn't buy the iron sulfate specifically for the aquarium to save money. I have the left over for use in my flower bed which I bought it for something like $10 for 5 lb from EBay. I am already dosing Flourish which contains 0.32% chelated iron. But my iron test kit shows non detectable iron level after dosing. So I want to boost iron with what I already have. I am not a chemist and not confident of the math and hope someone can help. I just want to make sure dosing FeSO4 is effective, and most importantly won't harm my fish and plant.