This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

dosing in non co2 tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by brad, Sep 29, 2005.

1. brad

brad Prolific Poster

Is it high nutrients, no co2 that causes bba or varying co2 levels?

If it`s door number one, how do we go about dosing a non co2 tank without simply keeping our fingers crossed that we won`t have algae?

I`ve been running my non co2 tank for a while now and haven`t had any problems with algae. Only when I did a water change I got a little thread algae. pulled it out and all is fine. So, since I`ve been rambling, in a non co2 tank, with no water changes will an excess of any nutrient cause algae?

2. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

Re: dosing in non co2 tank

One of the basic ideas behind EI is that excess nutrients do not cause algae. In a high light tank CO2 that drops below 30ppm is a common cause of algae. Below 2 wpg non CO2 works. See Tom's article on Non CO2 tanks.

3. weaverr3

weaverr3 Junior Poster

You got a link to that article? I can't find it.

4. stcyrwm@adelphia.net

stcyrwm@adelphia.net Prolific Poster

See: "http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395"

5. brad

brad Prolific Poster

nope, but is it the lack of co2, or the change in co2 that causes algae?

how come in one of my tanks that has:
    nitrate:20ppm
    p04:1-2
    co2: nearly 0

I have no algae?

In the other, with the same water params, I get algae if the co2 drops from 30 to 20ppm? It`s still much more favorable for plants than the other tank. Can I maintain this dosing regime with no co2 or should I be reducing the levels? Seems kinda pointless knowing that the algae will find what they need anyway right?

Basically, if 95% of algae issues are co2, what causes it in non co2 tanks?

Co2 is limited to a small percentage of people with tanks. Algae isn`t. What is causing the algae in all these other people`s tanks? Simply water changes intoducing co2?

6. Urkevitz

Urkevitz Junior Poster

High lighting with low Co2 is a problem. Non Co2 tanks usually have low lighting.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Plants adapt well to CO2 levels, if you monkey with them by doing frequent water changes this confuses the plant, so they go back and forth between high and low CO2.
    Algae are faster at this and it often signals a change in the dynamics of a stream, lake etc when the CO2 changes from the norm.

I've added higher levels of nutrients to non CO2 tanks without issue, but I'd suggest adding only what you need and watch the plants more than following a specific pre determined amount of dosing.

Regards,
    Tom Barr