This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

dosing guide for marine planted tank.

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by Matt_95, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:17 PM
    Hey everyone, this is my first post here.

I am considering starting a macro algae tank and I am just wondering what I should in regards to dosing, I found some dead links but thats it. Would PMDD be good along with fishfood? I read in a few of Tom's posts that high phosphates can cause issues in marine tanks unlike freshwater. If so how much PMDD shoudl I dose?

Will I need CO2 or will the algae grow well enough using bicarbonates?

Thansk for any help guys, this is a great forum :D

2. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Anyone know?

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Matt,
    I haven't tried it yet myself, but this might help.
    :gw My only suggestion would be to aerate the water before adding the algae culture since sterilizing will drive off the O2.
    As far as dosing, you might try a combination of yeast extract and ammonium salts or DAP.
    http://ec.asm.org/content/5/8/1175.full

Algae Culturing in a NutShell.
    http://www.aquaculturestore.com/info/microal.html

• 1 teaspoon of microalgae growing solution to 1 gallon room temp sterile fresh/salt water
      (microwave water at 7 minutes to sterilize before adding the growing solution.)
    • Add algae from petri plate (rub clean finger over surface of plate after adding a little culture water then pour into culture jar.)
    • Aeration is moderate to strong using rigid tubing.
    • Strong light for 16 to 24 hours but keep heat down.
    • Culture will get a strong green color.

5-6 days (color should get greener) new cultures can be started. Remember to clean items used in the culturing. Heat is better to use in sterilizing than bleach/chlorine. Keep the temperature between 700 and 800 degrees fahrenheit. Some algae species like it colder, and a few hotter.

#3 Tug, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I detailed this out fairly well, 5 ppm NO3 target, 0.2ppm or less for PO4.
    This should be fine, algae eaters like smaller snails work nicely for some small algae issues.

5. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    Wow ! Here you are much more advanced that in my country, this is a very rare subject that I tried to investigate from were I am, opening several threads but at the end I was the only source real scientific of information and practice. People seems to be initially very interested in the subject but actually since nobody there has such kind of tank the thread dies very quickly for lack of resources.

I have started one and I have read all sorts of articles I managed to collect on the net, I would be very happy to share the experiences with other people having this very uncommon type of set up.

6. brrrpr

brrrpr Subscriber

Local Time:
    Please, is there any article about ? Thank you

7. Barbara C. Lamb

Barbara C. Lamb New Member

Local Time:
    12:47 AM
    I don't have any idea about that, I would suggest you search on the internet, there you might find valuable information regarding this matter.