Dosing for Nano tanks (5 gal and under)

inthepacific

Junior Poster
May 23, 2013
So I just set up a small tank thats probably in the 3 gal range. and im not sure about the dosing. if i am not mistaken for a tank 10-20 gallons you would dose
1/8 tsp KN03 3x a week
1/32 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
1/32 tsp Tenso cocktail or CSM+B 3x a week

1/2 tsp MgSO4x7H2O 3x a week
weekly 50% water change

i was wondering if i could maybe dose 1/16 of KH2PO4 and the CSM B once a week or something since its kind of hard to divide 1/32 smaller for a smaller tank or has anyone done the same dosing for a small tank?

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
You can premix the no3 and po4 in a bottle and dose from that. There's a calculator at rota.la that can help figure out how much Fert, how much water, and how many teaspoons or whatever of the solution to dose.

i made mine in a 500ml bottle so that 1tsp gives me 10ppm NO3 in 10g tank. You can adjust to your liking. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Anything 10 Gal or so and under, go liquids, it's pretty easy.
CO2 is the biggest issue with small tanks, anyone care to guess why that is?

inthepacific

Junior Poster
May 23, 2013
Sweet

Sweet! i'll try and figure out some mixtures. i actually have pump bottles so this would be a lot easier. but im guessing i'd have to use like distilled/RO water and not tap for the mixtures right?
also who ever came up with that website name is genius, rota.la...hahaha!

Aug 18, 2010
Water level in the tank?
That pizza example of yours about fick's law of diffusion? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Water level in the tank?
That pizza example of yours about fick's law of diffusion? :D

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
Tom Barr;128054 said:

Cause I don't have enough room for it with all the GDA in there? Oh wait.... that's not what you meant! :rolleyes:

I'll stick my neck out for a learning opportunity and take a guess that it has to do with the lower water volume = less co2 capacity in the water column, which renders it less stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Barr;128054 said:

Cause I don't have enough room for it with all the GDA in there? Oh wait.... that's not what you meant! :rolleyes:

I'll stick my neck out for a learning opportunity and take a guess that it has to do with the lower water volume = less co2 capacity in the water column, which renders it less stable.

mlongpre

Oct 25, 2013
Toronto Ontario
Tom Barr;128054 said:
Anything 10 Gal or so and under, go liquids, it's pretty easy.

High light maybe?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Oakley

Dec 8, 2013
Olympia WA
Dosing or Nano (5 gal and under)

Tom Barr;128054 said:

I'm thinking it has to do with surface area. Small tanks have a relatively large surface area in relation to their total volume of water. So my guess is that there is a rather high rate of CO2 diffusion at the surface.