This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing for low planted, low light tank?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Anti-Pjerrot, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot Prolific Poster

Im thinking about how i should dose ferts to my 55 gal tank (250L) with 4 x 39W T5.

My tapwater is kH 17 - Gh 18 - pH 7,2

The tank is (new) planted (surfacearea) 60% with eleocharis acicularis/parvula, 5% narrow fern and anubias and 5% javamoss, 10 % with rotala green and 10% Hydrocotyle verticillata and im adding 10% temporary fastgrowers today.

No fish yet - but I dont plan on having a heavy stocked tank.

I got all chemicals (salts) available incl. KNO3, KH2PO4, KHSO4, MGSO4 and so on.

For now CO2 is added through 10mL of Easycarbon per day. (Aldehyde like stuff i think) sort of the same like Excell)

As soon as i get a split-needlevalve (Not sooo available in Denmark) ill switch to my pressurized system.

Should i stick with EI or try another method?

2. sherry

sherry Guru Class Expert

160 watts over 55 gallons is not low light. I think with that much light you absolutely need to get on ebay or aquabid, get your splitter for the needle valve and go ahead with a full ei regime. Or am I misunderstanding how much light you have?
    '

3. Anti-Pjerrot

Well low light is probaly an underestatement - but the real question lies on the planting, since theres so much eleocharis. Im on the splitter, but its gonna take some time... So im using the Easycarbon - maximum dosing for now. Everything is ready for the CO2- just need the splitter...

Is EI dosing preffered on that type of planting, since theres not that many fastgrowers?

The lighting gives only what equals to 30000lux - I say high light is above 70000lux

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I agree that's a lot of light.
    Too much really.
    I'd use 2x 39 watt mostly(10 hours) and then perhaps 4x 39 for a few hours, maybe 3 to 4.

I'd add at least 10mls till the CO2 comes.
    Take care of the CO2 issue ASAP!.

You will not need full EI with the plants you plan on having really, maybe 2/3rds ought to be plenty until the tank is fully grown in.

Main thing is good CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Anti-Pjerrot

I actually run 2 x 39W on a sunriser, so the light is kinda like you discribe Tom.

And sorry - the tank is 66 US gal (55 UK gallons) (Come on... go metric World!!)

Ill do the 3/4 EI dosing - and hopefully ill get the splitter ASAP

Thanks all - ill get right on it.