This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing during Emersed stage: How & What do I do???

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by jcardona1, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jcardona1

jcardona1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:02 PM
    Hey! new member here, just been doing a lot of reading lately but i have a few questions i couldnt find an answer to....

I will be starting to grow my HC emersed in my 55g as soon as it arrives, should be any day now. I was under the impression that you didnt need to add anything other than keep the substrate moist and turn the light on.

But after doing some reading yesterday, I saw that if youre using Aquasoil, then you dont need anything. I saw mention of using some sort of fertilization when using other substrates but I couldnt find some clear guidelines. I'm running Flourite mixed with gravel. So, my question is:

** What should I add to my HC while its growing emersed? This will have 216w of T5HO lighting. Also, I'll be dosing under the EI method with dry ferts once everythign is running. Ive read about using "NPK water". What is this? Could somebody please elaborate?

And this brings me to my next question:

** What is the dosing regime for newly established tanks? Should I just start following the regular dry dosing regime as soon as I fill the tank with water? The plant list will be HC and blyxa japonica.

Thanks for the help!

2. Dusko

Dusko Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I don't think Blyxa can grow emerged but you can try and post back at us.

Saturate the substrate with dechlorinated water, but first mix one normal dose of NPK (KNO3 and KH2PO4) + traces. If your tap water is rich in nutrients to start with no need to add anything extra IMO.

After 4-8 weeks once the HC formed a carpet flood the tank. Once filled with water flush it out to remove excess nutrients and re-fill with water again.

Plant heavily from the start, kick in the CO2 at 25-30ppm and start dosing EI.
    I would advice not more than 9 hours of light for the first month, then afterwards increase light gradually.

Add 10 (later more) Caridina multidentata shrimps 1-2 week after the planting to help with possible Hair/Thread Algae issues (Flourite Fe).

Regards, Dusko

3. jcardona1

jcardona1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    thanks for advice Dusko! actually, im only growing the HC emersed. the blyxa will come later when im ready to fill the tank.

i ordered all of my dry ferts yesterday from Rex's site, so ill start misting with a normal mixture.

thanks again for the help!