This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing Calculations

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by quenton, Mar 16, 2006.

1. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

OK, I hate doing things I don't understand, so here goes -- I am just getting into this EI thing -- I read the paper on it through a number of times.

So I start calculating -- lets take Phosphates as an example.
    I want 3ppm. I have a 60g tank (65 nominal). Using Chuck's Calculator, I get
    1/5tsp approximately. Now if I add 1/5tsp and there are 0 to start with, I should have 3ppm. I don't think I am wrong so far.

However, I am going to change 50% water each week. If I want to max out at 3ppm (lets ignore uptake for the moment), I would does 1/2 of the 1/5tsp and
    the graph should be asymtotic to 3ppm.

To complicate, I want to dose 3 times throughout the week, say starting \
    right after the water change. I figure this gives me 1/5sp / 2 / 3, so
    1/30tsp dosed 3 times a week.

So I look over the forums and under "Algae Control -> Help algae problem"
    and I find that for a 50g tank a recommendation of 1/8tsp 3x per week.
    This is almost 4x my calculation -- what am I missing -- other than uptake?

Sorry, Enginerring background hate doing something I don't understand,
    as much as possible.