This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dosing 3 X Week vs 1 X Week Using EI

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by rjordan393, Jun 10, 2014.

1. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:26 AM
    Hello,
    If one were to add up the total weekly dose of NO3 and PO4 using EI and added it all at once on water change day; would this cause a problem?
    I do water changes at 67% on a tank volume of 64 gallons every two weeks. In the 2nd week, I test these nutrients using Hach test kits and adjust the values to the EI.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would be concerned about a loss of water column nutrients by the end of the week. Why not use you hach tests after dosing and at the end of the week and see?

That said, the whole idea of EI is NOT to spend time testing..Up to the individual of course, but there is no reason to do so if EI is followed correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be concerned about a loss of water column nutrients by the end of the week. Why not use you hach tests after dosing and at the end of the week and see?

That said, the whole idea of EI is NOT to spend time testing..Up to the individual of course, but there is no reason to do so if EI is followed correctly.

3. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Actually I do test the last day of the week but adjust it the first day of the 2nd week. I am using the 40 t0 60 gallon EI method and that is slightly less then my 64 gallons. So using Wet's calculator, it calls for 6.58 ppm No3 and 2.02 ppm PO4 3 X a week. But I would like to dose the total of both all at once and that would be 19.7 ppm NO3 and 6.06 ppm PO4. So I would like to know if that would cause a problem. The reason for this is twofold. I like to cut down on maintenance time and I want to see if increasing my PO4 parameter from 3 ppm to 6 ppm and see if my plants respond better by the possible elimination of green spot algae and black spot algae. So if my PO4 drops to 3 ppm at the end of the week, hopefully my plants may still show improvement and the PO4 level will be adjusted the following day. I am also planning to do the same with Fe dosing and dose all at once but only if it does not cause problems.
    If testing indicates I should go for the 60 to 80 gallon method, then I will do so.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2x a week works well, 1x a week, not so good over time.

Plenty tried.

all my tanks are dosed 2x a week for the macros.
    Traces, most days I remember and bother to do it.
    Feed fish 2-3x a day.

I dose 5 ppm of PO4 and 15 ppm of NO3, then about 1 table spoon of GH booster per 60 Gallons.

5. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Thanks,
    I'll give that a try.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    That's a total of 10 ppm PO4 and 30 ppm of NO3 per week as dry ferts.

Not 5 ppm PO4/15 ppm NO3 total for the week, but per dose.

7. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Thanks,
    That is the the way I read it for the macro's. Now I have to experiment with the micro's. it may be I was not dosing enough. So I will use the Fe as a measure for all the micro's and dose 0.4 ppm per week to see where this takes me.

8. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I think Micros in particular should be dosed more often than once per week. They quickly become ineffective compared to Macros. This is especially true of Fe.