Don't know what type of algae this is called....

Jersey Scape

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2005
Rutgers U. NEW JERSEY
I don't really have any algae in my tank except on dying leaves. Usually when I plant new plants the bottom leaves tend to wither and die off due to new conditions and those are the ones that get this stuff. The algae seems blue/green in color but it grows in the brittle form. It sort of branches out and keeps growing unless I rip it off the plant. It attaches itself to the plant pretty tightly because when I pull it off the leaves it can uproot an entire plant. It seems as if only one algae plant will grow in a small area and it does NOT grow closely together like fuzz algae. I have high Co2, 3.66wpg and I use the EI method of fertilizing. KNO3 & Phosphate x 3 and Flourish x3.

Does anybody know what this thing is?

Thanks

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Don't know what type of algae this is called....

J.S btw your Rutgers univ. should be very proud of the way they played football the other night! their program can only go up. regards,cornhusker :) :)

Jersey Scape

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2005
Rutgers U. NEW JERSEY

Cornhusker said:
J.S btw your Rutgers univ. should be very proud of the way they played football the other night! their program can only go up. regards,cornhusker :) :)

I was pretty pissed when they lost by 5 points to ASU. We were having such big parties at our dorms that you would have thought that Rutgers went all the way. :D :D

I hope they turn out better next year. ;)

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

Sounds like cyanobacteria from your description but I've never heard of this in the environment you have posted. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

If it branches and is grey, almost tube like etc, Compsopogon, it's a red alga and generally a sign of too many fish, you recently did some rearranging and uprooting etc, and did not follow up with a water change right afterwards.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Jersey Scape

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2005
Rutgers U. NEW JERSEY

Tom Barr said:
If it branches and is grey, almost tube like etc, Compsopogon, it's a red alga and generally a sign of too many fish, you recently did some rearranging and uprooting etc, and did not follow up with a water change right afterwards.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I only have 5 cardinal tetras and 2 ottos. Do snails and shrimp count?