This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Does using coir change ph?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by Sourpuss, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    2:26 PM
    I am contemplating using coir mats under pool filter sand. I have a ranchu that will be in this tank. My ph is 7.5. I really don't want it to go any lower. Anyone notice any changes in ph when using coir? Thanks.

2. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    2:26 PM
    I ideally would like to make some sort of rhyzosphere. I can either put it in entire aquarium of i can use it just under my planting area. Plants will be aponogetons,crypts,anubias,java fern vars,tiger lotus possibly smaller swords etc. The sand i am using is red flint brand pfs.

3. Fishfur

Fishfur Subscriber

Local Time:
    8:26 PM
    Coir isn't terribly acidic. Not as acid as peat, for example. Coir is generally between pH 6 - 6.7. Like wood, as it continues to leach, its acidity will be reduced. Given time, it would neutralize but how much time that would take, can't say. It does leach very dark brown colour like nothing else so you'd have a lot of staining of the water.