This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

does two stages regulator really that worth?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by NutZilla, Jan 3, 2012.

1. NutZilla

NutZilla Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:57 AM
    hi all, i'm irsan from indonesia. first of all let me say thank you mr barr, i'm a big fan of this forum, it really helped me a lot.

recently i put a lot of my time reading about co2 and i eventually bumped into two stages regulator topic, and i can see that everyone cmiiw here is using two stages regulator. fyi for all this time i use the cheaper regulator like the one from UP or ISTA, its very popular here. and yes the co2 rate slows down along with the depletion of the gas, so i would have to adjust every week or so. its very hard to find any two stages regulator here, and it surely cost a lot. so my question is, does the two stages regulator really worth the $ and all the troubles that would cost me to get it sent here? what could i really expect from a two stages reg? what is the direct impact to lets say the algae in my tank?

regards,
    irsan

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:57 AM
    Hi irsan and welcome,

Can you provide a bit more details on your tank setup and algae?

Generally, with c02 it is usually that:

a. You are providing INSUFFICIENT c02 for the LIGHT PROVIDED and/or bio-mass. More light uses more c02.

b. You are providing UNSTABLE amounts of c02. Not enough at mid-day for example.

c. A AND B :)

Your requlator and other hardware will ASSIST with these things but it is really only at the end of the tank that it is more of a concern with the single stage regulator.

A better quality needle valve to regulate the c02 rate and/or a more efficient diffusion method for your tank may be a better investment initially.

Hope this helps.