This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Does this dosing plan look good?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by thegasman, Dec 22, 2012.

1. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:37 AM
    I've been using pre mixed ferts from Brightwell and SeaChem. I'm just about out of them so I have dry ferts on order. My tank has about 30 gallons of actual water and is high light with pressurized CO2. My water is fairly hard (4 dKH & 8 GH) so I'm not planning to add GH booster.

Since this is my first attempt at EI, I wanted to confirm that what I have below looks OK. I used Wet's calculator (thank you for this!) to come up with the numbers. My main concern is my trace and iron mix. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

EI Dosing Mixture & Dosing Schedule

Mixtures:

Nitrate ( KNO3 ):
    Mix 18.5 grams of KNO3 with 400 ml of RO water
    Dose 30 ml ( 7.49 ppm KNO3 ) 3X per week

Phosphate ( KH2PO4 ):
    Mix 3.2 grams of KH2PO4 with 400 ml of RO water
    Dose 30 ml ( 1.48 ppm KH2PO4 ) 3X per week

Trace & Iron:
    Mix 3 grams of Plantex CSM-B, 1 gram of DTPA Fe ( 11% ) and
    1 gram of Fe Gluconate ( 12.46% ) with 400 ml of RO water
    Dose 30 ml 3X per week
    Element ppm/degrees
    B * * * * * * * * .02
    Cu * * * * * * * * .0018
    Fe * * * * * * * * .28
    Mg * * * * * * * * .03
    Mn * * * * * * * * .04
    Mo * * * * * * * **.0010
    Zn * * * * * * * * .01
    dGH * * * * .01

Dosing Schedule:
    Sunday- Trace and Iron
    Monday-*KNO3 and KH2PO4
    Tuesday-*Trace and Iron
    Wednesday-*KNO3 and KH2PO4
    Thursday-*Trace and Iron
    Friday- Rest
    Saturday- 60% water change, KNO3 and KH2PO4

2. puopg

puopg Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I don't even bother to take 'precise' measurements as to how much i should dose. I just watch my plants to see if there are deficiencies. The entire point of the water change in EI is to essentially reset the system with a large water change. That's why we can get away with overdosing to even 3x the reccomended amount. Otherwise, imo how much you need to dose is dependent on light+CO2 and type of plants you have. Tom also has suggested to first 'overdose' then slowly dial ferts back until you see a negative response. Then you know exactly what you need.

3. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I'm thinking you might want to increase CSM+B to 11.6 gm because your Mn, Mo and Zn might be a little light for EI.
    You could increase the DTPA to 1.7 gm and Gluconate to 1.5 gms. But isn't terribly critical since your PH should be pretty good and 11.6 gms of CSM+B would already give you .5 ppm of Fe.

#3 hbosman, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  4. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    hbosman,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking that I might be too lean with the CSM-B. So I think your numbers would give me about .74 fe. What should I look for to know if I'm adding too much or too little fe?

5. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've been told that 1 ppm per day of Fe isn't too crazy. Maybe, over kill but wouldn't cause harm. Fe doesn't stay in solution indefinitely so, you don't have to worry too much about build up. As far as not adding enough, watch your plants for any difficiencies.