Does nitrobacteria do ok in lower ph? (5.5)

pejerrey

Prolific Poster
Dec 8, 2011
Oakland, California
I've seen a couple of people in TPT saying that the bacteria in our filters start dying or is dormant in lower PHs...

I've seen all kinds of things written on TPT as I they were true tho... I'm just wondering about this particular statement as I don't know much about it and when I asked for back up for it they didn't respond.

Is there any official information in the topic besides another aquarist parroting someone else's own myth? Lol! Sorry but there is a lot to filter before considering it actual knowledge from TPT.

Thanks!
:)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
How low a ph are we talking about? To breed cardinal tetras, or just a normal tank with say c02?

I have gone to 5.6 at times with c02 and I didn't have to recycle my filter afterwards...

Consider the source as well. How much of their info is accurate?

pejerrey

Prolific Poster
Dec 8, 2011
Oakland, California
Hi,

5.5 ish

This is the tank in question:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183530

ve5yze8y.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
pH dropped low how is the key question here. CO2 should not matter, if you knock the pH to say 4.5 and zero KH and lots of tannins and peat...........well...that is a very different case.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
There is also a major issue with the method, the temp drop is nearly 20F compared to my tanks.

So most of the tropical fish cannot be kept.

There are a lot of fish that can be kept at those temps.............just not the typical tropical fish species.

65-70F is a huge difference from 82-84F.

My tanks always did much better in the cool winter when I had unheated tanks in Marin.
O2 is 1-2 ppm higher, cO2 stays in the water, degassing rates are slower........bacteria are fast at breaking waste down, tank is not so touchy in general.

pejerrey

Prolific Poster
Dec 8, 2011
Oakland, California
Tom Barr;87803 said:
There is also a major issue with the method, the temp drop is nearly 20F compared to my tanks.

So most of the tropical fish cannot be kept.

There are a lot of fish that can be kept at those temps.............just not the typical tropical fish species.

65-70F is a huge difference from 82-84F.

My tanks always did much better in the cool winter when I had unheated tanks in Marin.
O2 is 1-2 ppm higher, cO2 stays in the water, degassing rates are slower........bacteria are fast at breaking waste down, tank is not so touchy in general.

Oh man, this is good news... I'll probably never do an 80F tropical tank again in my life. Lol! :D

This way is soooooooo much easier and rewarding! (for me)