Does high CO2 kill snails before fish?

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM
I have been increasing my CO2 some. It was a bit over 40ppm. I am starting to see dead snail shells. The shells look bleached. The fish show no signs of stress.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Does high CO2 kill snails before fish?

CO2 kills in order: Shrimps=> fish=> snails

Regards,
Tom Barr

KLB

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2005
Northern California

My tank is running right now at about 38ppm of c02 and the few snails I have seem to be oblivious. Still going around in lazy circles mowing down the green stuff. My guess is that snails are pretty hardy and adapt well, sort of like the aqua version of the cockroach :p

Ken

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM

KLB said:
sort of like the aqua version of the cockroach :p

:) haha. Yeah I never introduced them they must have hitched a ride on the plants. I still have several live ones I can see.

dizzo

Junior Poster
May 27, 2005

Tom Barr said:
CO2 kills in order: Shrimps=> fish=> snails
That explains the shrimp massacre in my tank.

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

At 4PM today I measured my PH at 6.2 and my KH at 3.9

That's 73.822 ppm. I run this 24/7 so it's likely even higher at night. I should lower it. I had bumped it up to do a number on some BBA that was trying to get started and have left it at these levels for a week or two.

The 35-40 Amano shrimp, 2 adult male dwarf gourami, 2 juvenile male dwarf gourami, 14 rummy nose and yes, even the snails are all fine. My ottos had already started starving to death before the CO2 increase and they are dying in order of thinnest. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TOM BARR!! EI IS A KILLER PEOPLE!! :gw

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I'd be safer always to turn off high levels of CO2 at night, you don't need it, the plants don't and the fish don't.

Regards,
Tom Barr