Does Glut Go Bad?

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
I have an unopened 1 gallon bottle of metricide that has an expiration date of 08/2017... any idea if it’s still worth using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
I dont know for sure as it relates to what we use it for, but that date is probably based on its intended use as a sterilizing agent and also takes into account the life of the activator that comes with it (unless they have separate dates, obviously)

My guess is it should be fine

ninemag

Junior Poster
Feb 28, 2016
That makes sense- I’m gonna try it. I’ll let you know if the plants don’t like it... or if the fish grow legs [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
For use as a sterilization agent, once the activator is introduced, it has 14 day shelf life if you have Metricide 14 or 28 day if you have Metricde 28.

You are not supposed to use the activator for aquarium use, so the 14 or 28 day shelf life doesn't apply. In tank water, Glut, has 10 hour half life.

In an unopened bottle, Glut, has a few years shelf life as marked by the expiration date in the bottle. I think you are still ok to use it even though it has expired by a few months. Once opened, however, its shelf life is shortened due to exposure to atmospheric contamination. Does anyone has an Excel bottle that says how long it ought to be used up once opened?

Last edited:

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
What is glut? I wish there was a chart I could go to with explanations are given for all these abbreviations. That would be so helpful to us beginners.
Haha, I know what you mean! It was all like Greek to me too at one point.

'glut' is short for gluteraldehyde, which is the active ingredient in Metricide and Flourish Excel (although they dont admit it)

There used to be a thread with dozens of abbreviations explained but I think it got lost in the server change because the links no longer work. https://barrreport.com/threads/all-those-terms-acronyms-and-definitions.3123/

@Jason King is there any way we can recover that? Both links are dead now