This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Does bromothymol blue affect the reference solution's dKH?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Richard McConchie, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Richard McConchie

Richard McConchie Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:40 AM
    Hi. I'm fairly new to CO2 injection and have been calibrating my 420 litre tank for the last couple of weeks. I have two drop checkers of different design. The first (one of those nicely curved glass units) is mostly blue to blue-green and changes colour only slowly. The second (which is located right next to the first) is a glass sphere with a hollow cylinder stuck into it. It changes relatively rapidly to a bright green to lime green.

Both are loaded with my home made 4 dKH bicarb solution (17 drops in 20 ml from an API test kit). The only way I can think to resolve the discrepancy is that there may be more bromothymol in the second unit (the design makes the colour less easy to see). I was thinking that if the bromothymol is made up into solution with distilled water it could lower the dKH of the combined (reference + bromo) test solution, and the more bromo you add, the yellower the result at any particular CO2 level.

Does this sound plausible?

#1 Richard McConchie, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:40 AM
    Sorry RM, i don't think anyone knows or they would've chimed in by now.

3. Richard McConchie

Richard McConchie Junior Poster

Local Time:
  4. Justlikeapill

Justlikeapill New Member

Local Time:
    If you are using the same solution and they are side by side then it is because of the different designs. If I understand your descriptions, the faster one just has less airspace so it reaches a reading faster.

I would think the type that hangs on the "rim" of an aquarium (a tube that's bent into a U-shape) would be extra slow.