This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use a light meter?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Detritus Mulm, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:04 PM
    When I replaced the bulbs for my T5 HO unit, I ended up with 28W bulbs instead of 54W bulbs? I noticed because the Ludwigia started to suffer. I stuck a watt meter on the fixture and it was only drawing about 100 watts for 4 bulbs (I have 8), so I increased the duration and # of bulbs I was using. I normally only run the daylight bulbs part f the day to simulate dawn/dusk.

But now I'm having a BBA issue, so I put the watt meter on the bulbs again and it's reading over 200 for 4 bulbs. So is it possible that the ballast switched gears based on the age of the bulbs or is it more likely that I'm senile and they were always putting out 54W? I mean it's bright, but not as bright as the original 54W bulbs. Plus the bulbs are 4' and the tank is 3', so the plants aren't getting a full dose. I plan to cut them back in any event.

But I wondered how efficient any given bulb might really be for a given ballast? Does anyone use a light meter to verify their effective light or just replace as usual?