Do you need airstone aeration at night?

Firstman

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2008
Hi all,

Now I know that you don't want much surface agitation during the day so as to not out-gas your CO2. At night plants use O2 and not CO2. So, does using an airstone at night benefit the plants? Is it bad to out-gas CO2 at night? Is it necessary?

I'll tell you what I do. I have CO2 start two hours before lights. No airstone during the day. CO2 off one hour before lights out. Airstone on when lights go out.

Want to know what the right thing is to do.

JJP2

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2008
Palm Harbor FL
you are doing the same as I do. I have very little surface aggitation at all and if I don't turn on the air at night, my fish don't look good in the the morning.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Firstman,

Some surface ripple is beneficial during the c02 period as it will bring in a bit more 02. While it may lose some c02, you can always CAREFULLY adjust the rate.

Tom has recommended some ripple that does not break the surface.

What you are doing is fine. It is not BAD to lose c02 at night, as the plants won't use it.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I use an airstone for a few hours in the evening, and will be switching to at night before long. I find it helpful to re-set the CO2 rather than having to deal with accumulation over a couple of days. I've also found increasing the O2 keep the fish happy. Plant wise, it's probably beneficial to pump the O2 levels given the chemical respiration that goes on, but I need to work on testing that theory or finding someone else who's work has.

*edit* I should also mention that it greatly reduces surface scum in tanks with issues.

-Philosophos

Firstman

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2008
Does this have any affect on pH swings? Meaning, if you use an airstone at night is the pH swing greater than if you don't use one? Just curious.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Tom's said the pH from CO2 was artificial, didn't affect fish as much as KH.
What is the reasoning behind Tom Barr's statement about CO2 being "artificial"

If what you concern is bubbles from the stone will make the swing rapider.
I've read Tom said it's 4 times faster to discharge CO2. I think the 4 times faster is
not as rapid as changing water. I've been doing this for about a month now,
no problem at all. I do this for fish and nitrifying bacteria.