This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a wet/dry filter? O2 increase idea and question....

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by fablau, Apr 29, 2017.

1. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:24 PM
    Hello everyone,

as many of you know, I use a wet/dry filter in my 75gl hi-tech tank, as I have explained in depth in my own tank journal:

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...75-gallon-tank

And I am questioning the way I have been using it for the past 10 years... the way I fill it is at around 1 inch over the bottom strainer of the first pre-filter and wet/dry section, as you can see from the pictures below:

wet0.jpg

wet1.jpg

I also keep a little bit open the pre-filter cover in order to increase O2 intake and allow me to increase Co2 to very high pH drops without bothering the fish... well, I have realized just now that if I let the water level go lower than the beottom strainer, I'll probably be able to add much more oxygen to the mix, and that could also help with degassing, etc... maybe avoiding me to use an airstone at night, etc...

So, my question is: to all the dry/weters owners out there, how do you set your sump water level? Above or under the pre-filter strainer?

Thanks in advance to anyone!

Save

Save

#1 fablau, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    2 people like this.
  2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I set mine as high as i can cause it just keeps evaporating lower. Why people seal their sumps or modify them i haven't a clue, pretty close results.

3. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:24 AM
    I set mine a reasonable safety margin over the minimum, to keep the pump from sucking air. Between the open top aquarium and the wet/dry filter, my system evaporates about 4 gallons per week out of an 80 gallon system. I top up with DI water twice a week to cover the loss.

4. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thanks Dennis for the info, it's strange you haven't seen any difference by sealing it, I have tried that and actually Co2 degasses much less... but at the end I have decided to keep the pre-filter cover a little open (with about a inch gap) to degas more during night and intake more O2. If I remove the pre-filter cover completely, degassing is super-high and O2 gets added a great deal. A lot of difference for me with or without cover.,., and if I seal it with duck tape, it really appears to work like a regular canister filter...

5. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Wow Christophe, that's a lot of evaporation. I lose about 1/5 of that, I am wondering why.... is your sump open? I mean, doesn't have any cover? Or is your tank open? My tank is closed, that's probably why...

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    No i meant the trade off is the same. Either more o2 inject more co2, or less o2 inject less co2. Fishwise i see how you can see beneficiary

I get the same amount of evaporation and top offs as christophe does. My sump is ope, everything is open

7. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Oh, I see, that makes sense then... Of course, everything open => more evaporation. But it is my understanding, you keep your water level int he sump pretty much as mine (in the picture above), right?

8. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    My wet and dry is all sealed except for the return pump section, tank is open top braceless, water evaporation is about 2 litres a week as for co2 and oxygen I've never tested it any other way so can't say if it makes a difference or not.

The co2 must make a difference if the the wet and dry section was not sealed but as I said I've not tested it the other way and built the custom design based on research of other hobbiests filters.

9. Jason King

Local Time:
    Also as mentioned I air stone when lights are out till co2 on.

10. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Jason, you get pretty much my same evaporation volume... I am wondering about the level you keep in your sump: over the strainer of the wet/dry section, right? Similarly to me?

11. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, right, that's something I'll try in the coming weeks. Thanks ;)

12. Jason King

Local Time:
    Fab here are some images to show you the sealed parts of the sump and also the water level min/max markings, image shows it at minimum.

After this image was taken the sealed section has been taped.

rW5El0t.jpg

7jp0Arr.jpg

#12 Jason King, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  13. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Great pictures Jason, thank you... yes, I see your water level is pretty much like mine... and I also see you can't get much lower than that because otherwise you'd have problems with the pumps on the right, but in my case I'd have about 5-10 extra centimeters where I could try to go under the strainer and see what's going to make O2 side... I guess O2 will increase a great deal, maybe too much... I'll try later on.

Thanks!

14. PEdwards

PEdwards Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Fablau,

It all depends on how much air you want in your filter chamber. When I first set up a sump I fill it all the way to the top then fill the tank to the point where it's close to the edge of the overflow and the sump will fill it the rest of the way then I turn on the pump. Once it starts circulating and settles out I shut the pump off again and mark the max fill line an inch or two below the high water mark, then I turn the return back on and call it good. I don't like running the daily water level in the return area close to the pump intake level. That's just asking for the pump to suck air or run dry if I forget to top off or go away for a few days.

15. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, good point. I think I had my answer then.... nobody is doing that, and for a reason!

Thank you again :)