Do you have a travel plan for your planted tank

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I don't have any automatic dosing except for CO2 and lighting. The health of my planted tank depends on my daily dosing of nutrients and excel. There is always a set back when I returned from travel, like BBA popped up here and there, and plant debris clogged intakes.

My travel plan for my fish only tanks is to do a large WC, clean the filter and top the tank before I leave. I don't feed my fish during my absence.

What do you do to minimize impact on your planted tank in your absence. Can you front load nutrients and excel before leaving?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
First, you can't front load Excel, because it only lasts about a day in the tank. You could front load fertilizers, but there could be consequences to massively overdosing.

When I am away for a few days, which is rare, I leave the lights off, and just let the tank rest during that time. That isn't a successful plan, but I haven't found a better plan.

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
Sometimes I'm gone for 5 days tops.
I'll do a double EI macro dose, no micro dosing, and no feeding on tanks with fish.
Leaving all lighting and CO2 on auto pilot as always.
No issues for about three years with this process.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
5 days absence isn’t my concern. It’s 2 to 3weeks absence that bother me, which is the average length of my vacation time once or twice a year.. Not feeding my fish during my absence has no long term impact as I’ve done it many times. But not feeding the plants for 3 weeks could have long term impact, right? What can I do to mitigate the damage?

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
What about throwing in a couple root tabs. These are slow release fertilzer. Will it work or harm?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Obviously, the more you automate your daily tank maintenance the easier it is to let the tank take care of itself when you are away. However, even that isn't foolproof. What if there is a power outage when you are away, or if your house circuit breaker trips for some random reason, etc.? That has happened to some of us. I used to use a continuous water change system, that slowly trickled water in, with an overflow system that trickled water out. I lost the siphon when I was away, but only for a day, and I got back before the tank overflowed!

ForTheHalibut

Oct 12, 2017
New York, NY
I have left my dirted tanks alone for up to two months, with someone coming over to feed the fish. Had some bba (was keeping some messy fish at the time) but otherwise no problems.

I second tiger15's root tab suggestion. If you don't want to spend a lot on dosing pumps, this would seem to be the best way to go with an inert substrate tank.