This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to dose K2SO4 and how much?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by dutchy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

At the moment I'm dosing 8 ppm of KNO3 and 1 ppm of KH2PO4 3 times per week on my 180 gallon tank. How much ppm's K+ does that give me?

Do I have to dose K2SO4 and how much? On my smaller tank I always got little pinholes iin my Hygrophila Stricta if I didn't dose
    K2SO4.

Thanks in advance,
    dutchy.

#1 dutchy, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Unless you are getting a large amount of N and P from fish waste, there's no need to add extra K, if you use KNO3.
    It gives about a 4X more ratio of K+ to N.
    Adding K2SO4 will not hurt anything either.

I use it for GH booster mix, but I've not used it for several years without any issues.
    Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

KNO3 is about 39/101 g/mol NO3, so 8ppm would be about 3.1ppm of K+

KH2PO4 is about 39/136 g/mol PO4, so 1ppm would be .29ppm K+

Add those together and multiply by 3 for 10.17ppm of K+ dosed.

You're a little lean on everything as far as doing goes, though N and P may be coming in from food well enough to stay non-limiting. Try adding about 9ppm of KH2PO4 for a total in the range of 14ppm K+ dosed.

Personally I'd just increase KNO3 dosing to 10ppm and do something like 7ppm of KH2PO4. Your K+ will come right along with all of it. End result of a weeks dose would be about 20ppm NO3, 5ppm PO4, 17ppm K+ and no risk of deficiencies. I dose more than this and apisto fry make it just fine.

#3 Philosophos, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

For clarity, this is incorrect. KNO3 is ~39% K (39g K/101g KNO3), not NO3. KH2PO4 is ~29% K. Your K+ numbers are correct. There is only 1 sig fig here, though. (I mention this because you often times reference the "accuracy" of your methods v other people's method.

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Thanks all of you for the replies.

I don't think I'm limiting N, because at the end of the week there's still around 10 ppm of NO3 in the water. So uptake is 25 ppm of NO3 and 3 ppm of PO4 in one week. I dose another 5 ppm of K2SO4 per week to keep the pinholes away. That would mean that the 10 ppm K+ I get from the KNO3 and KH2PO4 dosing is a bit on the lean side for that plant, and it needs more than 10 ppm K+.

Much clearer now. Thanks.

regards,
    dutchy

6. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member