Do I have enough? What do you Think?

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
I have 55 gallon tank, with all plants, driftwood etc my total water volume could be 45-48 gallon.
I have 2 HOB power filters (each are for 70 gallon tanks, flow rate is between 300 to 400). 1 Fluval 305 canister filter (flow rate:260 gph). Do you think my filter is enough? And just added 15 watt UV.

Question to UV users??
I went through the link that Duchy provided for setting up UV
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ilization.html after reading the article I came up with my setting as follows for Killing Machine...targeted for parasites, bacteria, etc in water column.

If I adjust control flow rate on fluval 305 to half (130 gph) then i get following for haf filled tank (I am planning to empty 50% tank and run this settings for couple days):
Watts per 10 gph:
For parasite and virus suggested flow rate is less than 10 gph per watt
I will get 10 gph per 1.15 watt (I have 15 watts UV and will be running with flow rate of 130 gph)
suggested is 10 gph per 1 watt (my setting will provide .15 more watt than suggested)
If I have 50% full tank (25 gallon) then my turn over will be 5.2 times per hour
Suggested turnover is 4 times per hour

Is my calculation correct? Any thing I should watch doing the above settings.

Regards
NN

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Re your filtration...

You will have say 1060 gph max on 48 gals of water...so sounds good initially...

But,

Only the 305 can be used to power the UV so you lose flow/power on the canister..

You don't mention using c02 but HOB can impact c02 levels by adding more 02 to the water via surface agitation.

It sounds fine but also depends on what type of fish you plant on having as well...

Can;t help with the UV stuff. Sorry.

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
Thanks Gerry
I use CO2 but i was suggested to add some surface turbulance, and HOB power filter gives good surface turbulance but the water is not splashing and my DC with 5 dkh solution stays green. I hope I am not loosing any CO2. UV I am using has more flow rate than fluval so I don't think the UV i have will be a bottle neck. So if there is no flow rate loss in canister my filter should be ok then? I will be keeping Blue Ram, Cardinal and Rummy nose (I used to have them all and lost them all :(
regards
NN

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I am pretty sure you will lose c02 via the HOB but you will just use it faster...you will need to a bit more than if you didn't have them is all...

As long as the 305 has the capacity for the UV and anything else (how is c02 diffused for you?) you are okay. Note that each split, elbow, etc will take a bit more off any capacity you do have..

Remember that mfg ratings tend to be more optimistic.. filters are new, unclogged, clean hoses, etc...plus whatever pct marketing throws on top :)

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Confession

Hi bluedragon,
When I first looked up your filter on the OP I was on my way out the door and thought it listed a flow rate of 185 gph. While most filters never quite live up to their claims you are better off with the 305 then I thought at the time. My Bad. I also didn't know you had two HOB filters aerating the water. When my tank water was cycling through the filter 4.4 times an hour my angelfish always seamed out of breath. After I bumped it up to 10 times an hour with a larger filter they have been much happier. Your fish and plants will be able to tell you better then I could about your flow. Anyway, sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Do Not Sweat The Extra 0.15-watt

Hi,

Do not sweat the extra 0.15-watt. I would stick to the manufacturers’ numbers, the greater the dwell time, or lower the flow-rate the greater effectiveness. Turbidity influences effectiveness, keeping extraneous gunk out also helps.

It would be better to run the sterilizer on a separate pump, use a bypass to adjust flow. :)

Biollante