This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Do aquatic plants reduce nitrates?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Seafever6, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Seafever6

Seafever6 New Member

Local Time:
    8:14 AM
    I ask because I thought they do but my planted Biocube 14 constantly has high levels of nitrates (25-100). I'd say my BC is moderately planted with crypt windtii, dwarf sag, rotala indica, some water wisteria, an anubia frazeri, and some hygrophilia augustifolia. I have 4 neon tetras, 4 red cherry barbs, and 2 otos.

My ammonia and nitrite levels stay at 0, the GH is usually around 2 and the KH is usually around 12. I was using Excel and Flourish twice a week but have backed down to once a week. Temperature is around 75-76. I also do a 50% water change every week and try to stir up as much detritus as I can.

Part of the problem was I was over feeding and have cut back on that. I think the other problem was I was only changing out the filter floss once a week. I'm starting to change it out twice a week now. I'm also thinking of adding a twig from a pothos plant in the sump portion of the BC 14 to help reduce the nitrates. I've read on several sites that potted plants like pothos can remove nitrates directly where aquatic plants have to convert it back to nitrites or ammonia first in order to use it. I don't know if that is true or not and I cant find any studies or reports that support that.

Thanks.

red cherry barbs 2.JPG

2. Bella Smith

Bella Smith New Member

Local Time:
    8:14 PM
    Yes, there are some types of plants that can help to reduce nitrates in the aquarium, like moss ball, duckweed portion, hornwort plant,... I'm growing Luffy marimo moss ball in my 20-gallon tank and it seems that nitrates in the tank decrease significantly.

#2 Bella Smith, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. CRS Fan

CRS Fan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:14 PM
    Any type of Java Fern will also remove nitrates well.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    Any plant that grows will take up nitrate, some faster than others according to their growth rate. Hornwort, water sprite, etc will take up more than slower growing anubias for instance. Access to co2 is usually a limiting factor for submerged plants, so floating plants like duckweed or terrestrial ones like pathos can take up nitrate faster with essentially unlimited co2 available.

CrisChloe likes this.