DIY tank stand

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
So I didn't want expensive electronics inside the main part of my cabinet where the sump is located. This is what I came up with and still tried to give it a somewhat nice presentation. This is for a 50 gallon cube. These are just pics of the finished product. The canopy however still isn't finished. I'm waiting until I have the tank on the stand to finalize the fixture position then I'll cut out a plate for the bottom so all you see is the plate and the fixture.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

closed.jpg

closeupequipmentboard.jpg

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
Nice damn job.

Still a sweet build I like wood.

Red Oak great wood.

Great wood have a pile of it out in the garage.

You do the doors also?

If so even better, I helped build them, when I worked at a cabinet shop, a long time back and never did like them 3 hp Shapers.

Jeff

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
AaronT;124625 said:
Cool build. No CO2 on this one? I don't see room for it.

No CO2, this tank isn't going to be planted. It's going to be a reef, just thought I'd share the stand. :)

reef12;124651 said:
Nice damn job.

Still a sweet build I like wood.

Red Oak great wood.

Great wood have a pile of it out in the garage.

You do the doors also?

If so even better, I helped build them, when I worked at a cabinet shop, a long time back and never did like them 3 hp Shapers.

Jeff

Thanks. I had the doors built by a cabinet maker...

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
feh;124656 said:
No CO2, this tank isn't going to be planted. It's going to be a reef, just thought I'd share the stand. :)

Thanks. I had the doors built by a cabinet maker...

Okay, but Reef aquariums use co2 also, Calcium reactor which was what was I working on , when I shut mine down, use co2 to break down the material ARM is what it was, and great DIY one posted by a Sanjay many years ago.

Using PVC pipe and a Supreme 40 I think to add the Kalkwasser.

Enjoy.

Jeff

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
reef12;124668 said:
Okay, but Reef aquariums use co2 also, Calcium reactor which was what was I working on , when I shut mine down, use co2 to break down the material ARM is what it was, and great DIY one posted by a Sanjay many years ago.

Using PVC pipe and a Supreme 40 I think to add the Kalkwasser.

Enjoy.

Jeff

The sump was built to hold 2 part solution. I don't see the need for a Calc reactor in a tank this size. Plus it being a cube, CO2 tank and reactor would take up more space than a doser and a small place to store 2 part solution.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
jerrybforl;125443 said:
Nice!!! Amazing wood work and the sump is cool looking as well.

Thanks. I finished the canopy a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to post pics. The top is completely open and there is a minimum of 6" between the canopy walls and the fixture so I don't think I'll have any ventilation issues. These pics are before I completely finished the stain so ignore anything that doesn't look stained. All I need to now is seal the stain. Not sure if I'm going to use a Poly or something else for that.

finishedcanopycloseup.jpg

standcanopyfinished.jpg

The cable from the fixture isn't dangling anymore like in the pics. I strapped it to the conduit holding the canopy up. I considered fishing it through the conduit, but after a few videos on youtube it's not quite as easy to remove like the Vortech pumps. The tank should be shipping soon. I'm hoping to see it around the end of the month. Also I just ordered the last of the equipment, but a few things won't ship right away. I'm also working on adding one more thing to the stand. I want to get some security door sensors that will turn the fuge light on/off if a door is opened when its off durring its light cycle so that it doubles as a cabinet light. Should save on space and I won't have to worry about "Did I leave the light on?".

window-door-magnetic-sensor-alarm-security-system_qcwyfy1335428776285.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Fuge or skimmer?

I've always had great success with Fuges.

I run those and after 2-3 months, start adding corals etc.

I let things get really cooking nicely, then start.

With smaller tanks, large water changes work very well, then less dosing is needed, you can feed the corals more.
50-60% every 2 weeks with good dosing, you can by pass skimmers and fuges even.
I'm reluctant to by pass the fuge though.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
Tom Barr;126248 said:
Fuge or skimmer?

I've always had great success with Fuges.

I run those and after 2-3 months, start adding corals etc.

I let things get really cooking nicely, then start.

With smaller tanks, large water changes work very well, then less dosing is needed, you can feed the corals more.
50-60% every 2 weeks with good dosing, you can by pass skimmers and fuges even.
I'm reluctant to by pass the fuge though.

Both actually. I ordered a Seaside aquatics ES5. Same body as the BM Curve5 but comes with a Sicci pump instead of an Atman pump. I ordered a Buildmyleds 12" Universal Fuge light with 45 degree optics. I want to hang the fixture up and mostly out of sight in the cabinet. The overflow box has 3 drains so I'm planning to run one through a sock and the other straight to the fuge up front. I'm not sure if I will use the 3rd, but may go ahead and do it for an emergency drain.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
I spoke to Felix at Reef Savvy today and the tank will be shipping next Friday for delivery the following week. I'm excited to see it. I'll get some pics of the stand with the tank on it when I get a chance.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey,

Nice looking tank.....can't wait to see this project progress.

I use the sicce pumps on all 3 of my tanks and they work well. Very happy with them.

Best of luck..

- - - Updated - - -

Hey,

I use the sicce pumps on all 3 of my tanks and they work well. Very happy with them.

Best of luck..

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
Gerryd;126644 said:
Hey,

Best of luck..

- - - Updated - - -

Hey,

Best of luck..

I have one on my skimmer, but the return pump is an Eheim Compact+ 3000.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
Few new pics... still a little work to do with the wiring and the fuge drain. Also need to install the probes, but it's getting there. I've also decided to add a few more switches to the breakout box and a ALD module with sensors around the outside of the stand and inside the cabinet. Might need another breakout box. The overflow box is plumbed for bean animal with 3 drains. Full siphon is to the sock, 2nd is to the fuge, and the emergency dumps behind the skimmer.

rearplumbing-1.jpg

10552479_10152980647188368_3789948869806842795_n.jpg

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
That is sweet.

Nice plumbing clean and like the color also.

Never thought of using gray.

Can't wait to see this come around.

Jeff

A

aquarist

Hopefully this post will be approved while it is still relevant.

Man awesome build!! That tanks looks pretty cool, reminds me of a bio cube, which for some reason over always wanted, but this is cooler!! Great job on the wood work I'm white jealous. When I get moved into a house I plant on reworking the stand and canopy that came with my 180.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
Thanks. Still a few things to tweak and finish up. Plus a few more things I want to add into the system. I'm planning to start up and cycle around October. Need to stock up on salt mix first too. Got a few more things done today.

screentop.jpg

Started on the screen top. I plan to add 2 Honeywell 943WG sensors to the back side so I can get alerts if something moves the screen top or opens a cabinet door. I also want to add a few pieces of acrylic to the corners of the screen top that sit down into the corners of the tank to help hold it firmly in place.

closeupscreentop.jpg

I've decided to add a leak detection module into the system and place 2 sensors around the sump inside the cabinet and I also want to add a couple more float switches to the mix for checking when the tank is low on Alk, Ca, or top off water. I also want to be able to just plug the RO system into the ATO reservoir and let it rip and control it by float switch/solenoid. I'm also thinking about trying out their AFS. I've heard good things, but I have heard it's loud when in operation. No experience so I'm not sure.

sump-1.jpg

I'm still thinking on the fuge drain, but I did get the rest of the wiring inside the cabinet done. I'm thinking about cutting a longer piece of PVC and letting the drain go lower into the fuge and drill holes in it and then attach the locline to the bottom or maybe giving a return eductor a try and dropping it a little bit below the surface and let it rip and dial in the flow.

CPR00005-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people