This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DIY - Light suspension

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:10 AM
    I use ordinary shelving hardware to 'hang' my lights above the tank.

Just get the hardware with the vertical rails that have multiple slots. The horizontal arms fit into the slots that are spaces .5 - 1" apart and face outwards towards you. Just place these arms in the slot you want to adjust. The light fixture then rests on the arms.

Takes two screws in each vertical rail to support most lights.

Obviously, you cannot rest a bulb or glass covering on the arms, but I have used many light fixtures (all glass, perfecto, etc) and they all have enough space so the bulb is not on the arms.

The length and positioning of the vertical rails determines how much adjustment you have. Totally up to you.

I have done this with many size tanks. If a large light, you may want to drill into the studs, but the drywall has held the smaller lights (36" double tube) with no problems.

You do lose a tiny bit of light as the fixture rests on the horizontal outward arms and there is a small shadow, but this has not been a limiting issue for growth.

This also works for my MH fixtures, since the bulbs are spaced, I just placed the two arms between the bulbs.

Hope this helps.

This site has given me much good info already, so wanted to return the favor.

2. Jason H

Jason H Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Gerry,

Thanks for your timely suggestion. I had just begun actively searching for a way to suspend my light above a tank I want to setup in the next week or two.

Jason

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Excellent!

Nice thing too is the hardware comes in precut lengths. Takes 5 minutes to install and level.

I have pics up in my album that show the setup.

Good luck with your new tank!

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Here is a pic of the setup.......

First pic is of the display tank 180 gal

Second is of a 45g quarantine. You can see the amount of adjustment in the second pic.

First adj is smaller as it looks better.........

5. FacePlanted

FacePlanted Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    That really is a good idea. I like it.

-Mike B-