This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DIY LED, 5630 SMD strips.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rickwrench, Jan 26, 2016.

1. rickwrench

rickwrench Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:54 AM
    I haven't posted in years, but this project turned out well enough to mention.

Supplies:

Two 5m rolls of waterproof "warm white" 5630 SMD LED strips. $11.00 each

Couple feet of CAT 5 cable. Free.

Bag of junk store DC wallwarts, 500ma to 2 amps. $1.00 each

Aluminum sheet scrap (.052" 3003 or 5052, can't remember). Free

First try was a retro fit of a 5 gallon Pemco SS tank.

54 total LEDs 12v @ 1.5 amp (so, 18w). %630s are supposed to handle .4 -.5 watts each, producing 45 lumens per LED. The specs are all over the board though, depending on what knockoff version you end up getting. Heat kills LEDs, so I chose to drive them at .33 watts per chip.

How much light? Most 5630s are rated at about 100 lumens per watt. Insert grain of salt here. I don't have a PAR meter.

Construction was straight forward. Clean aluminum mounting sheet with acetone, peel of sticky back tape, stick LED strips to aluminum. Solder power feed to appropriate pos/neg tabs. I fed power in from both sides of each strip (which I'd read helps).

Then I epoxied the whole assembly into a vintage metaframe style SS hood.

Total cost of materials actually used- about $6.00.

It's been running about a year now.

Interesting observations of these leds vs a 32w CFL: The LEDs don't burn up water lettuce or other plants growing above the surface like the CFL does.

Pic of hood assembly tilted up:

This worked out so well I lighted a small 5 gallon custom copper hex tank the same way. Except I used 84 chips and a 2 amp power supply. I need to trim back the vals about once a week in this one. Otherwise the Marsilea gets leggy.

Rick

2 people like this.