DIY Fertiliser

Radek

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2009
Romania
Hi ,

First let me introduce myself,
My name is Ionut and I am from Romania.

I just read your ADA Fertiliser test results .

I want to prepare myself one fertiliser and i can get almoust all chemical substances , but I don't know how to mix them to get a good fertiliser .

I thougt about making ADA Step I , because I will start my tank in about 2 weeks from now .

I thougt about mixing solutions for 500 ML Fertiliser with ADA dosing method 1 ml/20 L water .

Seachem Flourish Trace - 500 ml Seachem Flourish - 500 ml , to cover all the trace elements not found in the water .
I was wondering if I could add it in the DIY Fertiliser or I should dose it independently . If I can add it to the DIY Fertiliser what should be the ratio.

Fetrilon 13% - 20 g - FE (EDTA Chelat) with ADA concentration Result .

I found K+ from :

KHCO3, KNO3 , K2SO4 ,KH2PO4 wich is best to add?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I would just add the Flourish(all of them) to the DIY for now.

For K+, you can use any of thpose, however, you may want to maintain the NO3, PO4 or KH independent of K+.

In other words, K2SO4, will not affect the other nutrients like NO3, PO4 etc.

ADA step 1-2 are fine and all their fertilizers, IF............you use their sediments and IF you use lower light.

Otherwise, you will likely require more NO3, PO4 etc.

Also, the types of traces you are adding are for soft low KH water, Romania is high in limestone Karst geology and the water should have a higher KH.

I would suggest if the KH is above 50ppm, to use DTPA Fe, not ETDA Fe.
Or, a mix of 1:1 ETDA/DTPA for Fe.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Radek

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2009
Romania
Hi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

Secondly ,
Yes, it's true we have a very hard water here , that's why i bought a RO set from Dennerle . So I prepare my water with RO water . My target levels are:
KH~3
GH~4

I know that ADA works fine with substrate from ADA , I want to try if it works with my substrate :

Dennerle Deponit Mix Professional + Quarz Gravel

I want to use Dennerle fertilization , but it's a little bit expensive . I don't know if you heared about them .
Initially I wanted to do this fertilization :

A1 from Dennerle : Daily Microelements fertiliser
E15 from Dennerle : every 15th day from the month you put Fe tabs in the water
V30 from Dennerle : Every 30th day of the month you add V30 (Trace elements)
PG7 (aka PlantaGold 7) : Every 7 days
I want to make independent solutions with :
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
MgSO4

each rising NO3 , PO4, SO4 with 0.1 PPM .
I want to maintain a 10:1 NO3 PO4 ratio but i don't know for SO4 the ideal concentration .

What do you think of my fertilisation scheme?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Radek;42488 said:
Hi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

Secondly ,
Yes, it's true we have a very hard water here , that's why i bought a RO set from Dennerle . So I prepare my water with RO water . My target levels are:
KH~3
GH~4
I'd still use some of the DTPA if possible, say 1:3 ratio by weight DTPA: ETDA.

I know that ADA works fine with substrate from ADA , I want to try if it works with my substrate :

Dennerle Deponit Mix Professional + Quarz Gravel

I want to use Dennerle fertilization , but it's a little bit expensive . I don't know if you heared about them .

Yes, but it has much less nutrients than ADA, so you need to add more to the water column if you use this sediment.

Dennerle markets, they have many items for all sorts of "desires".
These are not "needs", it's marketing.

Many aquarist think more products means they are more/better than other companies.

Initially I wanted to do this fertilization :
A1 from Dennerle : Daily Microelements fertiliser
E15 from Dennerle : every 15th day from the month you put Fe tabs in the water
V30 from Dennerle : Every 30th day of the month you add V30 (Trace elements)
PG7 (aka PlantaGold 7) : Every 7 days
I want to make independent solutions with :
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
MgSO4

each rising NO3 , PO4, SO4 with 0.1 PPM .
I want to maintain a 10:1 NO3 PO4 ratio but i don't know for SO4 the ideal concentration .

What do you think of my fertilisation scheme?

I'm not clear on your dosing goals there.
Stop with worrying about ratios, they do no one any good in this hobby.

ADA's ratio in the sediment is 2:1 N:p for example.

I personally dose 3:1 N:p ratio in the water column with ADA aqua soil.
So this is about 15ppm of NO3 from KNO3, and 5 ppm of PO4 from KH2PO4, I do this 2-3x a week.

Here's a tank right now(well last week)

60cuberesized2.jpg

This tank was trashed, algae etc, rotting plants when I moved a about 3-4 months ago.

Now it's looking much better.

I'd worry less about using all sorts of different products, focus on using the base chemicals, a general trace mix will work fine, order some dry DTPA Fe, some trace mix from a Hydroponic vendor in the EU etc.

This will save you both time and money.

KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 are easy to get a hold of, also, you might want to add a little MgSO4 in case the GH is off and mostly Ca++ and little Mg++.

Adding say 5ppm a week of Mg will help prevent any issue and not cause any negative affect.

I think you might also consider mineralized soil in place of ADA AS if it's unavailable or cost too much etc there.

This will make the nutrient issues less problematic/less of a management issue.
ADA has this lean dosing built in and the lighting is much less than you might think, so the draw/demand from the water column is GREATLY reduced.

Without sediment fertilizers like ADA that include good N and P, you are running the risk of going too lean with too much lighting.

This hobby is not about running nutrients as lean as possible.
I think many hobbyist seem to think this.

It's much more about making sure the nutrients are available, water column or sediment, as long as the total amount is present for plants is high, then you get decent results. The most important thing is good CO2, keeping light at a minimal levels, not too high, "lean" lighting is much more important than lean nutrients.

With reduced light, you also have easier time managing CO2 and nutrients.
Adding nutrients to the sediments allows ou to not worry so much about adding them to the water column.

So they work synergistically together(sediment + water column). Less demand from the water column, and less demand from the sediments(sediments last longer).

Use both, not one or the other.

Then if you forget to dose here or there, or want to run things lean, you can without the plants suffering.

Running things leaner will not save you from algae however.
Many are really in denial on that part.

The example above illustrates that and I've had high nutrients all along for over a decade without algae or plant issues. You can limit PO4 so strongly it affects CO2 demand(PO4 limitation becomes stronger than CO2 limitation), but if CO2 is added correctly to begin with, you do not see that same dependence on PO4, otherwise all my aquariums should have high algae since they also have high PO4, 2-5ppm ranges.

Clearly they do not.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr