This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Fertiliser

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Radek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Radek

Radek Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:31 PM
    Hi ,

First let me introduce myself,
    My name is Ionut and I am from Romania.

I just read your ADA Fertiliser test results .

I want to prepare myself one fertiliser and i can get almoust all chemical substances , but I don't know how to mix them to get a good fertiliser .

I thougt about making ADA Step I , because I will start my tank in about 2 weeks from now .

I thougt about mixing solutions for 500 ML Fertiliser with ADA dosing method 1 ml/20 L water .

Seachem Flourish Trace - 500 ml Seachem Flourish - 500 ml , to cover all the trace elements not found in the water .
    I was wondering if I could add it in the DIY Fertiliser or I should dose it independently . If I can add it to the DIY Fertiliser what should be the ratio.

Fetrilon 13% - 20 g - FE (EDTA Chelat) with ADA concentration Result .

I found K+ from :

KHCO3, KNO3 , K2SO4 ,KH2PO4 wich is best to add?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I would just add the Flourish(all of them) to the DIY for now.

For K+, you can use any of thpose, however, you may want to maintain the NO3, PO4 or KH independent of K+.

In other words, K2SO4, will not affect the other nutrients like NO3, PO4 etc.

ADA step 1-2 are fine and all their fertilizers, IF............you use their sediments and IF you use lower light.

Otherwise, you will likely require more NO3, PO4 etc.

Also, the types of traces you are adding are for soft low KH water, Romania is high in limestone Karst geology and the water should have a higher KH.

I would suggest if the KH is above 50ppm, to use DTPA Fe, not ETDA Fe.
    Or, a mix of 1:1 ETDA/DTPA for Fe.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Radek

Radek Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi,

First of all thanks for the answer.

Secondly ,
    Yes, it's true we have a very hard water here , that's why i bought a RO set from Dennerle . So I prepare my water with RO water . My target levels are:
    KH~3
    GH~4

I know that ADA works fine with substrate from ADA , I want to try if it works with my substrate :

Dennerle Deponit Mix Professional + Quarz Gravel

I want to use Dennerle fertilization , but it's a little bit expensive . I don't know if you heared about them .
    Initially I wanted to do this fertilization :

A1 from Dennerle : Daily Microelements fertiliser
    E15 from Dennerle : every 15th day from the month you put Fe tabs in the water
    V30 from Dennerle : Every 30th day of the month you add V30 (Trace elements)
    PG7 (aka PlantaGold 7) : Every 7 days
    I want to make independent solutions with :
    KNO3
    K2SO4
    KH2PO4
    MgSO4

each rising NO3 , PO4, SO4 with 0.1 PPM .
    I want to maintain a 10:1 NO3 PO4 ratio but i don't know for SO4 the ideal concentration .

What do you think of my fertilisation scheme?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time: