This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Diy CO2 for large tanks?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by nerbaneth, Nov 6, 2008.

1. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    7:15 PM
    I have finally accepted that my DIY CO2 method for my 90 gal just isn't strong enough. I found a place that I can buy a CO2 tank and regulator for $100 after shipping! I won't be able to purchase it until December and i was wondering if there is a method that i could make temporarily until then.

My current setup is two 2 litre bottles connected in parallel being diffused through the intake of a maxi-jet. I used to have a 5gal bucket that made my CO2, but it is untrustworthy and can leak (liquid and CO2) if i am not really careful.

I just started dosing PMDD and I am concerned that I will become an algae farmer:cool:

Thanks,
    Nerb

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    1:15 AM
    I needed 4 bottles going for a 90 Gal.
    Changed them weekly too.

Regards,
    Tom barr

3. nerbaneth

nerbaneth Guest

Local Time:
    7:15 PM
    what is the formula you use in the bottles?

currently I use 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of bakers yeast, 1/2 tsp of protein powder, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and a couple drops of trace minerals. (I read somewhere the protein powder and trace minerals helps the yeast survive longer (it seems to work.. I have seen a mixture like this last a month granted the mixture was weak for the last week.)

Should I use more yeast?

Thanks!
    -Nerb