This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Diy 4dkh Dropchecker Solution

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Gabe Hayes, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Gabe Hayes

Gabe Hayes New Member

Local Time:
    6:13 AM
    I've done a little searching around on how to do this but the videos on youtube are terrible at explaining it. Is creating my own 4dKH drop checker solution as easy as:

1) Create 0-TDS RO/DI water
    2) Add the right amount of seachem alkaline and acid buffer to make the solution 4dKH and 7PH
    3) Put this water into my drop checker
    4) add a few drops of Ph indicator (bromothymol blue) to the drop checker?

Can anyone with experience doing this chime in and let me know if I have the basic premise right or if I'm over-simplifying the process and missing something?

I think I have all the things I need:
    • RO/DI filter
    • Seachem Alkaline and Acid Buffer
    • PH solution (bromothymol blue)
    I'm just not sure of the measurements. But I can use the seachem alkaline and acid buffer calculator to create 4dkh, 7ph water.

Any help would be appreciated on any specifics I may be missing. THANKS!

Best,

Gabe

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:13 AM
    Why not 1 gallon RODI @ TDS 0, or distilled and add 454mg of baking soda and call it a day. :rolleyes:

I've never used a drop checker, too delayed of a response IMO.

I target a 1.4 drop in pH from degassed water to 2 hours after lights on.

3. Gabe Hayes

Gabe Hayes New Member

Local Time:
    6:13 AM
    That's all I wanted was a clear recipe. But is my premise for what it is and how its made accurate? Its just 4dkh water with PH solution in it right? Does the PH matter, does it need to be 7ph? Also, if your PH drops below 6, lets say you start your photo period at 7 and it goes down to 5.6, how would I measure for that since my pH solution/chart only goes to 6 (yellow)?