Dividing Soil and Sand Substrates

daviesri

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 8, 2006
Katy, TX
I would like to set-up my planted tank with both a soil substrate and sand. When I see this being done, it looks like cardboard is placed between the two in the initial set-up then it is removed. It would seem that that would make for a real pain keeping them seperated. If not I would love to know how that works.

I was thinking of making up 3 inch wide longs strips of acrylic and using them a a permanent barrier between the two substrates. Would this work? Has anyone ever tried this?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Dividing Soil and Sand Substrates

Well, using less soil substrate is one way.
I've seen screens used, but roots muck this up when you replant.
Some just leave the root stumps and replant tops.

Regards,
Tom Barr

defdac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
Linköping, Sweden

daviesri said:
I was thinking of making up 3 inch wide longs strips of acrylic and using them a a permanent barrier between the two substrates. Would this work? Has anyone ever tried this?
I was suggesting a similar solution to a fellow Swedish aquarist yesterday, so I'm very interested in the results if you do this.

It sounds very interesting for those that wants a low-tech (soil+gravel) but also an open space with sand for Corydoras.

Spar

Guru Class Expert
Jun 5, 2005
Dallas, TX

I did this with my tank when seperating peat moss and gravel from my sand area. I used Lava Rock as the barrier. Looks nice IMO.

Here are some pics of the process:

Substrate-part1.jpg

Substrate-Part2.jpg

SubstratePart3.jpg

SubstratePart4.jpg

100gPlanted12-28-05031.jpg

daviesri

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 8, 2006
Katy, TX

Spar,

Did all you use was lava rocks? Have you had any mixing of the substrates yet? My big concern is over time (such as 6 months to a year) I would have alot of mixing. I do not want to redo my tank every 6 months.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

defdac said:
I was suggesting a similar solution to a fellow Swedish aquarist yesterday, so I'm very interested in the results if you do this.

It sounds very interesting for those that wants a low-tech (soil+gravel) but also an open space with sand for Corydoras.

Quite a few folks do this, and nice option to keep it well planted: use floating plants over the open regions and maintain their position by directing water current.

Low light/nop CO2=> great place for the floating plants. You do not need to worry about the plants below because it's nothing but open unplanted sand.

This looks nice and it's also rather natural looking.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Spar

Guru Class Expert
Jun 5, 2005
Dallas, TX

daviesri said:
Spar,

Did all you use was lava rocks? Have you had any mixing of the substrates yet? My big concern is over time (such as 6 months to a year) I would have alot of mixing. I do not want to redo my tank every 6 months.
all i used was lava rocks. no mixing yet, but my Val has spread across underneate the rocks causing some unfixable mess.

if i could do it over again I would have stacked broken slate instead. I like the look of the lava rock though. maybe just do 2" of slate stacked, and then the remaining layer with lava rock (if you like the look). Keep in mind that some lava rock floats though.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I've used stacked slate with success.
Nice look too.

Some folks have used slate skree as a substrate, looks pretty cool and is much different than what most folks ever add.

Regards,
Tom Barr