Discus

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
Mabuhay!

anyone into planted discus tank? I will be venturing into this stuff very very soon. Please feel free to share your experiences, views and suggestions. Post pics of your planted discus tank to serve as my inspiration.:p

Godbless everyone.

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
Will you be getting adult discus or juveniles?

susantroy1

Junior Poster
Jul 9, 2007
mujacko2002;26218 said:
Mabuhay!

Hi Shane! i will be getting 7 different juvies for my 75g planted tank. Is this sound?

thanks

Mujacko,

I would strongly suggest that you get adult discus, if you plan on putting them into a planted tank....Adult Discus do not require the feeding regiment that juvies do. If you put the juvies in a planted 75 and feed them as they should, you will be putting a great load on your bio filtration system. and chances are greater for ammonia/N02 spikes... these fish simply can't tolerate those conditions. and they will let you know in short order that their H20 requirements are not being met. I've got my 4 adults in a BB 55G as I cycle my 135 and they love it... when I feed them beef heart I no longer have to worry about them missing any before it disappears into the dense undergrowth. they simply pick it up at their leisure.

Troy:)

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
mabuhay!

thank you all for your advises and suggestions.I really appreciate it.

@susantroy
I would strongly suggest that you get adult discus

:eek: that would be a lot of money :( adult discus here are really, really expensive but i will surely think a lot of what you said. Maybe i'll just trim it down to 4 medium size discus ?

Another question :
Sunsun Wavepump 3000lph
--would this be necessary for a 75g planted discus tank?

Please feel free to share your experiences, opinions and advises.

Godbless

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
I didn't have luck with discus smaller than 2 inches. I suggest at least 3 inches. About food- I have been feeding mine with frozen bloodworms for a long time and some flakes once a day. I recently bought Jack Wattley's discus formula (beefheart) and they didn't eat it. It took some time but now they accept it. Try both kinds of food. You can find bloodworms flakes at shrimpdirect.com among others food.

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
Mabuhay!

I thank you to all those who shared their expertise :p

i got this pic from Ed Polak's website : Construction of My Aquaterrarium

viv_1st_stage1.jpg

---though its a vivarium but i am thinking of putting tree fern just like that in my 75g so i can attach my anubias, java moss, java ferns and other plants that thrive in low light and attached to things. One of the issues of course, it would stain the water and i dont know how long the tree fern will last underwater. has anyone done that in their aquariums? My first choice is a corkbark but its very pricey overhere. So any suggestions/advsises?

thanks and Godbless

Godbless everyone.

richart

Oct 20, 2005
Mnnesota
Discus in planted 75gal. tank

CIMG1993.jpg

The three 5 inch discus are fed live blackworms and the plants and fish are thriving. I perform 50% water changes and micro and macro dosing on a weekly basis. The tank has been set-up for one year.